Stainless handle knives

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone out there know what number stainless Buck uses for their knife handles on the small folking pocket knives like the Gent, Scholar, and a couple others that I can't name right now? I called customer service and talked to a guy who could only tell me what the blade is -- I did that from the web page. He had no idea about the handles. I've writte a letter but have not heard back -- and that was a couple weeks ago. I laid one out and started cutting (hammer / chisel) I can't believe how hard and unreasonable this handle material is. I've read more than once to stay away from the 300 series stainless and stick with 400. I'm just curious what it is I might be working with. Thanks

S~

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ill wager that the folks at GRS could shed some light on this-they realized that the small stainless lock blade would be popular to engarve if they weren't so darn hard-they got buck to make "engraveable" versions-I would imagine that someone in there tech support might have the info you seek. Hers's a link to grs/buck knives http://www.grstools.com/buck.html Fred

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all -- I thought that might be the reason GRS had the pocket folders made. I guess I'll try bulino on them (already bought a few) cause I sure am not going to try to cut another one. Thanks, I appreciate it

S~

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know what happened to the last reply I sent - but it looks like it didn't go through.

It would be easier to engrave the blades on these small Buck stainless pocket folders (not the GRS ones). The blades are 416 stainless but the handles are something else again :confused: .

S~

russ

Santo,
I know what you’re going through. I bought the one that had the nugget cut (or sand blasted) look for a bolster. It was so hard it ended up in the trash –harder than 300 series. I have worked on several different models of Spyderco’s and they all have cut well. Let us know what you find out from Buck – it would be nice to know what models are suited for engraving.

Russ

Sponsors