A Gifted Man

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I receiver "A Gifted Man" by Joseph yesterday and read about 1/3 of it before needing to retire for the evening. I was a little upset with the book, as I saw a very disturbed and irresponsible young man trying to make his way through life, mostly by taking advantage of other people's generosity and their belief in his incredible talent. I was hoping beyond hope to not find a very disturbed and irresponsible old man in the rest of the tale. I was not disappointed, as Joseph turned his life around and became a responsible member of society and an acclaimed artist/engraver/sculpter. Way to go Joseph!

I may have run into you the time you were in South FLorida. I was just beginning to engrave and was desperately searching for some professional help at about that time (mid eighties) and ran into an engraver at a gun show in West Palm Beach. I asked him some questions about my work and technique on a small knife bolster I was doing, and he was not too responsive, probably trying to save me from embarrassment and some not-too-kind words about my work. He later came over to the booth I was at and took my knife, never saying a word. A short time later he brought it back, the other side completely engraved in the same style I had, only smoother and better. He never said a thing to me; just dropped the knife off and left. I felt intimidated by him, so I never followed up or tried to reach him again. I still have that knife and study it often. If it was you, thank you for your effort to give me some much needed inspiration. If not, I'm sorry I never met you then.

I liked your book; the back half, anyway. I encourage you to write another one, this time maybe on your techniques and design theories. Your knowledge and skills must be shared with us all.

Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors