Rye knife

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hi forum,

Here's my next engraving practice knife. As it is here right now harvesting season and we had rye field right next to our house it gave me some inspiration and the result is here (and cornflower is our national flower). Please tell me what and how can be improved.

One thing that I didn't know how to solve well was the direction of growth - on the left side of knife it grows from bottom and on the right side it's kind of opposite. I'm not sure what to think about it, is it OK or not?

One thing that I learned was that I should never test any new things out on a real piece - I tried different type of heel grind and I just couldn't control the graver, not sure what I did wrong, but it just didn't cut evenly.

I don't know what to do with lower center part where wheat border comes together, right now it's just empty. Any suggestions?

If I have my border changing size like it is on this knife, how should the wheat border behave? If the border is thinner should the 'boats' be shorter and if it grows wider on other places should boats also be longer? Right now it looks kind of random...

Viljo

Attachments

• summerknife1.jpg
    summerknife1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 174
  • summerknife2.jpg
    summerknife2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 189

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Viljo,

I like it! The layout leads the eye to the center & in my opinion results in a harmonious "feel". As for the center of your wheat border (which looks very nice by the way) you could: do nothing, & leave it as is; repeat the crossed ribbon motif; add a small section of scroll; or??? Nimschke was a master at filling little spots like that. Studying his work will be an inspiration for sure & help you to get a feel for what works in areas like the one you have. Sometimes what you leave out can say as much as what you put in.
Food for thought!

Weldon

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good to me!

You could always use that small spot to put your name / initials. I think you're getting to the point where you'll want to sign your work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like the look you have there. i think the very light and airy feeling i get looking at this piece is good.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Vilts,

Your engraving looks fine to me, perfect.
The only blunt response I can give you, is that your wheatborders are perfect, but the engraving on the pivot of the knife and center of the two weads coming together on the upper side, look alien to the other engravements.
I assure you that I cannot do better, and this is the only comment I can give you.
I do wish I was as good an engraver as you are now!:eek:

Latest posts

Sponsors