A Question for Sam.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I finally got off my duff and joined FEGA. I just received the current issue of "The Engraver" (which I'm thoroughly enjoying! KUDOs for all those involved, especially Andrew!) and I noticed the gravers shown in your article on the Airtact. Do you routinely remove that much of the graver before sharpening the tips? I also cut away excess metal on the upper and side portions of the graver, but nowhere near as much as those in the photo. What would you estimate is the actual working width of the graver face? Are those tips extra small and used for shading only, or are they your standard 120 degree gravers? I'm still trying to decide on buying the Airtact. I had just purchased the more sensitive foot control and the better pressure control valve when the Airtact was introduced! If I understand the instructions on the GRS site, these items could no longer be used. What a waste! Since I'm only an amateur engraver and also since I'm so used to foot pedals in my daily "grind", I'm not sure the transition will be that big an advantage. I am, however, another unrepentant "toolhead" and am torn with indecision! I was going to wait until Reno to actually try the Airtact in person, but the more I read about it, the more I want it NOW! What to do, what to do....?

Thanks,

Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Mark. I shape all of my square and 120's that way. I prefer a nice, long taper with small face of about 1mm or so. That measurement is subject to change after many sharpenings, but I prefer to keep them very thin at the business end. Tapering doesn't affect the graver's performance since only a fraction of the heel and face is doing the cutting, but it just feels better to me not to use a fat, bulky graver. I have no special gravers for shading. I shade with the same tool I outline scrollwork with.

You read correctly. When you switch to Airtact you'll not be using your foot pedal. There's an optional FootPod which I use when I need to hold the handpiece upright for stippling and sculpting with punches. Only you will be able to tell if you'll see an advantage with Airtact. I'm totally comfortable with the system and see little chance of ever going back to pedal operation. / ~Sam

Sponsors