Running leaf variant on Ti wedding bands [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I closed the work week by finishing this pair of wedding bands
The lady was sure she wanted the running leaf variant with the beads in the centre.
And before you ask no neither the engraving nor the shading lines will wear of in a lifetime.
This morning a customer who wears a Ti ring I made 9 years ago showed it to me when I asked for, he said: still very pleased with the ring and still looks like new.
So what more can I ask for. :cool:

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys , to be honest and honor whom honor is due, this variation using the beads in centre, it is Chris DeCamillis who pointed me on that some time ago. Sure it works!

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Both are nice. I like the beads down the center.

I second these words of Beathard, it was the first thing that came to my mind.
The beads are such a little detail with such a strong effect, kudo´s to Chris then.
But I like the male ring as well, the kontrast and the structure are great.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Eugene, yes round sure is female and soft. That is most important on jewellery designs if you want to sell them. Only few people like the triangle shaped jewellery designs, to pointy. They look like thorns.
Thanks Willem, jewellery is all about the details isn't it?

arnaud

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Arno. I've engraved this pattern with just a single bead. The tapered three looks good.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, I like the beads as well, and the leaf design has really good depth. Very nicely done :thumbsup:

I also REALLY like the textures you do.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bert and Sam, indeed the running leaf is cut quite deep and so is the shading. I could have doubled the amount of shading lines, but it was said several times before, less is more.
And of course one has to look at it at real size, but a photo of that size isn't very interesting for other engravers I think.
Problem with photos that show an item more than double size, you have to be an "insider" to be aware of that. Sometimes when showing "oversized" photos, I have to explain that what they see is an ring for an elephant.

The other thing one can't control is the screen resolution of others. :( not to mention the colour settings.
So I learned that if you want to see a photo the way it was meant, you have to open it using PS, as this software knows how to read the colour proifile that is embedded in the file. Your microsoft fax and picture viewer or browser doesn't.

arnaud

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud Great work. You have encouraged me to get some TI rings in and do some engraving on them. I have them on order and should see them in about about week. I will do a leaf design on my first one and post it when it is finished, hopefully it will turn out as nice as yours. I to like the bead in the middle

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Graham, thanks, yes there are. Only use grade1 and grade2, avoid all others except for other purposes than engraving.
If you do a little search in the archives here, you will find a lot of information on Ti, sure you are not the first one to ask me. :)

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, yes I make my own Ti rings and that is quite simple. I have some Ti sheets, 1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm. The 1.5mm I use the most for rings.
Just use a saw to cut a strip, a little wider than needed and the right length for the finger size.
Then I use the PepeTools ring bender, and use my PUK3 to weld head and tail.
I finish the ring depending on the model I make, then anneal it so that if needed, I can stretch the ring up to 5mm surround, without breaking the weld.
I also have a very small lathe for wood (Proxton) using a Cmax to cut the ring if it has to look coming out of the lathe. You wouldn't suspect that this 120$ lathe is able to do that, but yes it does.

Of course there are other ways to make a ring out of Ti, depending on the model. But one just have to think a bit about how to build it, but as the TI not really has any value, you don't have to think economic like you would using precious metals.
It is just like building a ship or a car, only a bit smaller that is all. :biggrin:

Super Ring Bending Tool

arnaud

Last edited:

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work Arnaud, What type of graver bit bit do you use on it? I am doing a set today and using Lindsay's carbalt. I am having to resharpen every 10 minutes or so.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Looking for source for Titanium Sheets

Hi Arnaud I have started to look for a supply of Titanium for making rings and other items to engrave here is a picture of some of what I have found will any of this work?

Attachments

• Titanium Sheet Prices.jpg
    Titanium Sheet Prices.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Sponsors