Silver coin size

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Silver dollar size, this was one of steps that I took in learning relief engraving. The photo is of an Uberti copy Henry Rifle. If you look beyond the figures involved and study the background removal, the marks there clearly show where my chisel hit several flaws in the casting and went unexpectedly too deep. I tried to correct it as best as I could.
You can see the punch marks where I flattened it hoping to minimize the effect. Looking at this work 12 years later I criticize myself for not taking a small straight chisel and working the background a bit longer until it was cleaner and flatter. Then I could havw highlighted the area behind the hills with a burnishing tool to give light reflected from it. But at the time it was the best I could do. You can also see where I used other punches to model the figures clothes, and canvas. A silver dollar is a good dimensional reference. If you have read my book The Gifted Man. The woman is modeled after one of the many women who fell for my charm. The kid is her business partner, advising me to get lost. Behind him broken beyond repair rests my heart, and beyond that; there go I, once again the ass wandering through life learning one lesson after another. This is one. When the work was done and put on display at the BBHC. The first comment made about it was. â€￾Why did you put all that work into a reproduction Henry, you will be lucky to sell it for a profit.â€￾ They were right.

Attachments

• Henry rifle left side view 2.jpg
    Henry rifle left side view 2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 147

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Joseph
I will be ordering you book soon, sounds like a great read. Also good info on the henry rifle

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Yesterday morning I received Joseph's book. Last night I finished reading it. It is a truly great read!

I have recommended it to several of my friends.

Regards,

Lester

Latest posts

Sponsors