Question: looking to buy new microscope need advice

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I rarely speakup on opinion threads but I would like to say this:
I bought and still use a Amscope...
Went to GRS for a training class with Rex and used a Meiji...10X better than my Amscope.
Used a friends Wild(Lieca) M3Z on some Bulino and lettering (i normally use a Zeiss loupe to do bulino)...10X better than the Meiji to me.
About 700.00 more saved and I'm buying a used M3Z...Without a doubt!

The Amscope works fine for 60-70% of my stuff but I do get optically fatigued when using it for hours on end. The week I used the M3Z in was on leave from my regular job and was able to spend days cutting. NEVER felt fatigued. Was wonderfully bright and clear. Can do Bulino under it!!

In short save and buy good used equipment. :)

Donny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I rarely speakup on opinion threads but I would like to say this:
I bought and still use a Amscope...
Went to GRS for a training class with Rex and used a Meiji...10X better than my Amscope.
Used a friends Wild(Lieca) M3Z on some Bulino and lettering (i normally use a Zeiss loupe to do bulino)...10X better than the Meiji to me.
About 700.00 more saved and I'm buying a used M3Z...Without a doubt!

The Amscope works fine for 60-70% of my stuff but I do get optically fatigued when using it for hours on end. The week I used the M3Z in was on leave from my regular job and was able to spend days cutting. NEVER felt fatigued. Was wonderfully bright and clear. Can do Bulino under it!!

In short save and buy good used equipment. :)

Donny

Reminds me of my Zeiss experience, Donny. I taught a class at the Alexandre School in Belgium and used a Zeiss microscope. I loved it and became obsessed with getting a used one. It took awhile but I finally found one, and a few years later I got two more :) I've heard many good things about Wild scopes.

Thanks for your excellent post. :thumbsup:

lost okie

Have found a used Olympus zsb-4 within driving distance. I know nothing of 'scopes. Is it usable for engraving? what are the issues that I might look for before handing over the cash? Can it be overhauled reasonably if I get snookered? Very reasonable on the price.
Thanks
Mike

Sam

Staff member
I used Olympus SZ III scopes for years and they were good scopes. I have no experience with the model you mentioned. Look at the specs for the Meiji EMZ-5 such as zoom, etc. Those are the specs you want. If this scope has the same specs it's probably suitable. As for overhauling, you'd best check with a company that repairs scopes. If it's old, parts might not be available. The only problem I had with my Olympus was dust getting inside. Don't ask me how that happened, but it seems like that should never happen. Be sure to check the lens elements very carefully for lens fungus. Take the eyepieces out and examine them, then look down inside the scope. As far as I know there is no cure for this and in my opinion this should be a deal breaker.

lost okie

Thanks Sam; The model is SZ-40. I don't how I came up with those other numbers. Thanks for the advice on looking inside. Might be worth a three hour drive to look.
Mike

Sam

Staff member
Research it and compare its stats before you make the drive. If the scope doesn't come with a 0.5x objective, then you'll need to buy one. Expect to pay around $100 for one. Also, be sure it's got 10x eyepieces and not 20x.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

I Had the same experience as you after teaching at alexandres school. I bought a zeiss immediately . I also bought a second one. My Leica A60 is on the way. when you get the opportunity to try one you should. The zeiss is bright and clear and has good depth of field but it doesn't compare to the Leica A60. The a60 is just as bright and clear has a wider field and much more depth of field. ? when you use one you find yourself not focusing much at all. this is a huge benefit for engraving and also for stone setting.

Best part is it costs less than a meiji with the stand and light. The stand is incredible you can move it with two fingers and it doesn't shake or move at all. Quite a piece of engineering.

Chris

Sam

Staff member
Chris: I've heard nothing but good things about the A60 Leica. I've not tried one yet but it sure sounds great. I would need a trinocular version though. I would assume it would come with that option but I haven't investigated it yet.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, The A60 does not come in a trinocular version. The reason is due to the way the scope performs. Scopes usually focus on a very short depth of field sharply, or focus on a longer depth with less clarity. Leica took one of each eye tubes and combined them with other engineering in something they call FusionOptics (which they patented). When you look through the scope your brain meshes the 2 optical view together and you see a very clear image for an extended depth of field. If you look through one eye tube with the other eye closed and then change eyes you will see 2 separate images. It is amazing what the human brain can do. However, a camera could only pick up one or the other image. It can not integrate the images like your brain.

Sam

Staff member
Ok, that makes sense. Reminds me of my monovision contact lenses :) That leaves me out because my scopes are used for video output and recording via the trinocular port. Sounds like a very interesting microscope though.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tira,
I have heard a lot of really good things about the Leica A60 microscope and I would really like to try one out. I have been using a Meiji microscope for almost 7 years, I am very happy with it but I am always interested in upgrading to something better if it will help my engraving. The increased depth-of-field deal sounds really neat. Do you have a schedule of where you are going to be demoing the Leica microscope? Are you going to be any where near the Denver area in the near future?

Les Schowe

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, Did a little web search for retailers of the Leica A60 in Denver and came up with North Central Instruments - Colorado
3920 N. Youngfield Street
Wheatridge, CO 80033
Ph: 303-322-8900

The Lecia seems to be headquartered in Illinois and the web site lets you find local dealer so you can try out the scopes and compare them with other brands. May not be set up for engravers but at least you could try one and the Denver outfit even services them.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Les, I am planning on having all the tools at the Engrave-In at Scotts this September. I may also be at the Ohio gun meeting in October, but I won't be out as far as Colorado for the rest of the year. I have a couple of scopes in the Colorado area already - I could try to contact the people and see if they would be willing to let you come over for a visit.

Scottyd

Les,
I'm in the north part of Colorado Springs and I have an A60 F that I bought from Tira. I like it. You are welcome to try it out. Come down and visit with Dave London and I.
Scott

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just in case you are still considering the AmScope. I use one and I've had a good experience with it. I was on a very limited budget when I left retail jewelry behind and went to work for myself. I did a lot of research, looked at the same reviews I'm sure you did, and in the end pulled the trigger on the AmScope. I did it for a number of reasons but it boiled down to the fact that it offered everything I needed in a scope, and I had experience with the Meiji emz 5 so everything was the same.
Now for the review.
No, this scope is not the quality of the Meiji. The optics are not as nice. The construction is not as beefy. I do experience a bit of eye fatigue after 4-5 hours of straight work. Also the zoom will not hold perfect focus throughout it's range..
All that being said, this scope does the job well and I'm happy with it so far. The issues I have with it are minor considering I knew I would not be getting top quality for the price. When adjusted properly, focus is good, clear, crisp and bright.
Given that it is a Chinese scope, I couldn't guess whether the quality is the same from one to the next. I don't expect to get the life out of it that I would with a better quality unit.
Would I do this again? Yes. If I was on the same budget and time constraint. If I had more time, I would have gone the used Leica or Olympus route. Another poster mentioned a seller on ebay and if he is the one I saw, he seems to do a good job and has a good reputation. Next time, I am saving for a Leica based on Tira's recommendation.
One last thing. If you get an Amscope, the model I purchased is the Model SM-7BX-FRL. It comes with the .5 barlow and the feature I wanted most, the articulated arm. The arm is strong and allows a wide range of motion and locks down securely.
Good luck and hope this helps.

lost okie

Going to drive down to look at the Olympus sz-40 today. Does anyone here recommend or not recommend it? If its a bad deal I have just blown 150 bucks and a tank of gas. Too hot in the shop today anyway.
m

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the info Tira,
I was planning to go to Scott's Engrav-in but, as it turns out, I will be assisting in the teaching of a class at about the same time and it would just be to much driving - bummer, I would have loved to attend. Hopefully, I will catch up with you sometime in the future.

Les

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Scott,
I live up North of you, near Boulder and I drive down to visit Dave every couple of months (My wife's mother lives a couple of miles from Dave and I am forced to visit every once-in-a-while.) . I would love to meet with you and Dave on one of those trips and check out your microscope. Lets stay in touch,
Les

I bought an Amscope in 2011. It has a clear image, and make the hair on my arm look like trees. I can't say if it has improved my engraving, I am still a novice engraver zeroing in on retirement. I guess I'll know better when I start spending 3 or 4 hours a day cutting steel. Good luck with your decision.