First Impressions

Andrew Biggs

I placed an order with GRS for the book “IL GRANDE LIBRO DELLE INCISIONI†or in English “Modern Engravings Real Book†by Marco Nobili. Witten in Italian and English and covers 590 pages. http://www.grstools.com/b-gunsknives.html

Well the book arrived today and all I can say is ……………….. What a book !!!!

It covers all the main Italian bulino engravers from Pedersoli to Fracassi. Most of the photographs are gun engravings but there are also knives and other bits and pieces. One of the things that is really nice about it is that there are a whole lot of the artists pen and pencil drawings throughout. Most of the photos are black and white with a few colour pages.

It’s some of the finest engraving/bulino work you will ever get to see. And lots of it.

So if you are looking for a huge reference book on engraving showing some of the most talented people in the world. This book will provide you with enough inspiration to last for the next 20 years and then some!!!

At (US) $80 it’s a steal.

I also got the book Crocker Novelty Monogram System http://www.grstools.com/b-monogs.html Now this is a inexpensive little book for $13 and I only brought it because it was so cheap............now I'm really glad I did. It's a very cool, handy book that shows you different styles of monograms and the shapes used. If you are interested in lettering and monograms it's a neat little reference book to have and if you apply a bit of thought to what's between the pages you will never be stuck for a monogram again.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrew....I have that book and enjoy it also. You might like the one by the same author "Creative Art". I have one of the 1st books on Italian engravers Modern Firearms Engraving by Mariio Abbiatico. Our fellow engravers in Italy are doing some beautiful work. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tullio Fabbri gave me a copy of Il Grande Libro delle Incisione several years ago, and it was out of print then. It's one of the best engraving books ever published, and for $80 it's a STEAL.

Latest posts

Sponsors