Palm or Foot - That is the Question!!

alfrisillo

Let’s get one thing straight from the beginning…..this is NOT a comparison of Brand X and Brand Y pneumatic palm units. This thread deals with the question I had in my mind which was “Would I prefer palm control over the foot pedal?” I have a Gravermax so the logical decision based on cost was to purchase as Airtact with palm element for the 901 handpiece, which I also had. This set me back a little under $500. It was quite simple to hook up and after less than a day of practice, I can say I was pleasantly surprised with the increased control I had and the overall comfortable feel I got from using the palm element. By comfortable, I mean I did not have to have my right foot on the “gas pedal” which allowed me to put my feet in various positions that resulted in better posture. Better posture leads to less physical stress which meant longer time at the bench for me to improve my amateur engraving skills. I highly recommend trying a palm controlled engraver when you get a chance. It may not feel natural in the first few minutes but it sure will after a little practice.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a Lindsay palm control and two foot control devices at my bench. Mainly I use the Palm Control, but I have found occasion to use all three in the same day. Sometimes I just keep different bits in each one so I don't have to change things so often. I don't have a problem using a pedal, but I have found my palm control requires less thought, and of course is easier physically in most situations.

Last edited:

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, NOW you tell me, you have the Rolls Royce of engraving tools!....
Personally, I just upgraded from a Gravermiester to a Gravermach and Sil-air with Magnum and Monarch handpieces..... I'd like to practice some fine shading, even bulino. I'm scheduled for Chris DeCamillis' GRS bulino class in October. Anyone else? I've read the other threads,,, I realize GRS is going to have NO trouble selling me an Airtact palm element in the future... Just, NOT this year! When that time arrives, I'd like to check out the Lindsay palm unit, as well. I've read nothing, but Great Reviews...
Thanks, for letting know....
I know that I have the Cadillac of engraving tools, now.
Stephen
ps. I love my new tools. Doesn't it feel GREAT!

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

You do realise that in about 30 years time from now, people will write books about engraving telling the world about the hardships that "us old timers" used to have to put up with like foot controls. They'll be selling them on e-bay in the antiques section..........:D
Cheers
Andrew

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also use the Lindsay Palm control along with a foot pedal airgraver that I am going to have it adapted to the palm control. Still use the foot control on the air grinder and a hand controled rehostat on a micromotor grinder. All bases covered. Help I am a tool addict:eek:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Al,

I sent you an email today about Nov. I sent one a while back too but it might not have gotten through.

I use the Lindsay Palm Control. It just feels more intuitive to me than having to co-ordinate hand, foot and eye.

Ray

Tom White

Hi,

I also use a Lindsay PalmControl and a Lindsay Classic with foot control but I have a knee implant and arthritis and the Lindsay tools and especially the PalmControl do not seem to bother it as much my hands do not swell using them I think it is because of the minimal vibration.

Tom

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alfrisillo, I too use Airtact and I have to agree with you as to how natural cutting with it is.

The nice thing I find about the Palm Element is that I can adjust the sensitivity just by moving it to a slightly different position in the hand.

Also, gone it the back strain I used to suffer from. After using a foot pedal for hours at a time I used to find my sciatic nerve being irritated. Sometimes this was to such a degree I ended up with full blown scaitica and hardly able to walk. All this is gone now with the advent of Airtact. Hand controlled units are definitely the way of the future I feel. My father has an Airtact on order and it will be very interesting to hear what he thinks of it when it arrives.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I do 99% of my work with the Airtact palm touch element. I can't perceive ever going back to foot pedal operation unless I need to hold the handpiece upright for stippling or when using sculpting punches, in which case I use the footpod.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
I use a Lindsay Palm Control for most of my engraving and practice, But the gravemax and the 901 and monarch I use for stippling...
The Lindsay PC can stipple but you need to run air all the time, so a foot control is great just for that reason...
Just my thoughts,
JL Seymour

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
I received my airtact a few weeks ago, got it all hooked up and engrave with it. I did some modifying to the contact pad and it is very sensitive and works well ( for both monarch and 901 hand pieces ). However, I can not seem to make it start as smoothly and as delicately as with the foot pedal which is about as sweet as pure sugar. Forinstance, with the foot controll and using the in line valve controll I can adjust the handpiece to start with such softness and precision, but I can not seem to tune the air tact to the same degree.

Does any one have any suggestions?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed,
Everyone I've talked with finds the start up even smoother with the Airtact. I would suggest playing with the pressure adjustment on the Airtact itself. If that doesn't work, contact JB Taylor at GRS. Also make sure you have the 901 and Monarch "tuned" correctly. There are instructions on the GRS site.
Click here....
This is the best method of tuning.
Hope this helps,
Rex

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
ED: Things to consider when using Airtact:
1.) Rotate the handpiece knob so that the touch element bump is at the 12-o'clock position.
2.) Be sure all gravers are oriented exactly alike in the QC holders. If they are different or a few degrees off, this can cause the touch element to be a few degrees off in your palm and you'll wonder why Airtact is responding differently. I normally mount my gravers in QC holders so the set screw tightens on the corner of a square graver, and it's easy to be off a few degrees. Awhile back GRS added a 2nd set screw to QC holders which cures this problem.
3.) Try my settings: Airtact pressure between 12 and 15 lbs with light springs in my 901 and Monarch handpieces.
4.) Increase air pressure on the GraverMach regulator a tiny bit to sweeten accelleration (if needed).

NOTE: In response to an earlier question about reverting back to the original foot pedal, it's as easy as disconnecting the Airtact hose and reconnecting the old foot pedal hose.

Latest posts

Sponsors