Turntable bearings

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just thought I'd post a link to a nice bearing for a turntable I found on ebay. For those that are new to this and can't afford a GRS turntable, this is the sturdiest bearing I've found. Very high quality and great price. Even has feet on one side. Screw to your platform of choice and away you go. (there may be a better method but for me this worked)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/392mm-Turn-...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item1e5d52e97f
Oh, and there are different sizes available.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the post, I made a turn table some time back, but the bearings that I had on hand are a bit worn, now I'm thinking a rebuild with that style of bearing may be on the way to go. Thanks again.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the nice thing about this bearing ring as opposed to typical lazy susan bearings is that they are flat. They don't have the plates on 2 levels. They also hold a heck of a lot of weight. Somewhere over 400lbs. Very smooth with light loads and well crafted.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Ordered one, now I'll have to see what I can make with it. After looking at some of there other bearings, and prices, this was a great deal thanks again.
Dave.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for posting this. I've been considering making a turntable and this is exactly what I need.

Bill

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi, Dave,

I agree and have just ordered one, after trying Katherine Plumer's a few years ago.
I think you mean the Shomino Banding wheels?

http://www.shimpoceramics.com/bandingwheels.html

I have always wondered why we go for wide rim bearings on our turn tables. Although a ball vise dropping on your foot sure feels heavy, they are nothing compared with what a normal 1.5 inch bearing can support with precision on a center axis. I am getting the 9.25 in dia low model 25, for about 80 bucks. Plenty of mass with the cast iron construction. I can add the larger dia top plate from my existing turn table, if I need to. Will report on results soon.

Rod

mrthe

Rod i use a 25 cm diameter shimpo turntable and for me is great, very heavy no vibrations and very smootg

mrthe

A little video about the turntable:

[video=youtube;aoNYj_rk-Hk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNYj_rk-Hk[/video]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just bought a turntable from GRS, indeed not that cheap so nothing wrong to make one yourself. But it is a great tool.
On the other hand, within the time I would spend making one myself I can make two pairs of Ti wedding rings, enough to buy 5 GRS turntables.
So I prefer to relax sitting at my bench doing something that generates more profit than making a turntable.

arnaud

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What I like about the GRS turntable is that it's smooth but best of all is the height. It keeps the vise low or I'd have to sit on a pillow to look threw my scope. I think the nylon bearings is what keeps it so smooth.

Steveareno

The shimpo sure looks good and the price is great. I don’t think you can get a better one. Thanks for the link!

Steve

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I just received the bearing race, the design is a good one at a great price, but it is not as smooth as I hoped for. For the price I knew that if it didn't work for a turn table I have another project I will use it for. And for those who don't measure in metric, and do not have much room in your work space, be prepared because it's 15+" across.
As for the suggestion that was made about the Shimpo turn table, after seeing the video showing it, and if I was looking for a new turn table at a good price, I'd spend the few dollars more to buy it over building one with this bearing, in fact I may get one to replace my home made one.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod Smooth is the most important. My first one was one of those metal bases cut a nice round piece of wood for the top, within one month I ordered the GRS one. If your cutting a longer fine line then all of sudden the turntable sticks it's very frustrating. When I got mine Sam gave me a tip to make it even better. He said to polish the bearing guides with fine polishing paper and it made it supper smooth. You could probably find one as smooth maybe even smoother but the low profile for me is important also.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Rod
MTC I think that Steve Lindsay's turn table is the best . Only about a inch high solid machined stainless steel turns smooth as glass,but pricy;)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod Smooth is the most important. My first one was one of those metal bases cut a nice round piece of wood for the top, within one month I ordered the GRS one. If your cutting a longer fine line then all of sudden the turntable sticks it's very frustrating. When I got mine Sam gave me a tip to make it even better. He said to polish the bearing guides with fine polishing paper and it made it supper smooth. You could probably find one as smooth maybe even smoother but the low profile for me is important also.

Polish, something I might try, suggestions?

Carlos De La O III

Latest posts

Sponsors