Some unusual Ti work for a ring [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a design I made some time ago and it is one of my favourites because of its strength and simplicity.

It is meant to hold an expensive stone like a 3 carat diamond.

This time a customer had a golden pendant with this quite big blue sapphire in it. I forgot to weight it but must be over 5 carat.

And as my slogan is “everything can be made from Ti” this is how it came out, highly polished.

Finger size is 4 3/4

arnaud

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. Been wanting to ask, is it hard to form ti. How would u make it soft enough.. I haven't found much on the web about ti

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Lol. I have noticed this.... I know it can be annealed. But is it like annealing steel or silver? The reason I ask is I love Ti . My wedding band is ti. I have a flat sheet about a 2"x2" I had for years but never really knew how to work it. I think its about a 14 ga.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great design Arnaud, you raise the bar with every new model.
Did you made it out of wire and welded it together in the shank ?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Jared, I like Ti too.
It can be annealed easily, just don't overheat it as then it will that hard it will break. Just starting red.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, Yes made of 1.5mm Ti wire. welding the connections is done by drilling true the prongs / shank and the oval 6 times. Then putting a Ti wire through both and welding it on the in and outside. As that way only you are able to finish the welding properly.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, you probably mean welding the tree wires together to form the shank, yes I did, then filed till half round at the base of the ring

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew, silver is the softest one of the precious metals, then comes yellow 18 carat gold, white gold and platinum are harder and will not wear of that quickly.
But Titanium grade 1 or 2 are far harder than the precious metals we goldsmith use. As you probably read before, some members find it difficult to polish Ti. That because of its hardness. That means once it is polished,it will keep its polished surface much longer. Same of course for all other surface treatments.
I have seem wedding bands I made 8 years ago and they still look the same as when I finished them.
Of course I could have made this ring out of platinum too, but Ti has some advantages over all other metals, and one of them is the non allergic reactions.
The other thing is that the profit is the same for your work, but the price for the customer is lower as the metal cost is lower.

and High End Ti jewellery is more exclusive

arnaud

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud you do such beautiful work TI is my next direction to work with. I have already been playing with it as to engraving However since the JCK show and I was able to see TI coloring and engraving ( very similar to the work your daughter did on the bracelet and engraving) My creative juices are flowing I like engraving TI. Keep up the great work

Latest posts

Sponsors