Rusted threads,

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Rusted Threads of advice. No one will recognize your work until you stick it in front of their face. I got my first write up in Guns Magazine by doing just that, sticking my work under a gun writer’s nose. Actually I stalked him for half a day trying to get the nerve to ask him to look at my work, which I carried with me to show some of the exhibitors at the Dallas Shot Show 1988. I was hoping to find a steady source of income, and looking for recognition. The man had a badge pinned to this jacket proclaiming “Press.â€￾ It seemed logical to me that He was the one to show my work to. I nailed him when he bought coffee, “I stopped to see if you are interested in engraving?â€￾ He took a sip of his coffee, and then asked why? “I have a piece of my work here that I would like you to look at and pulled the 1876 Winchester rifle from the case before he could say more. My boldness paid off with an engravers profile article inAug.89 Guns Magazine. It was a very complimentary, written by James Fender. It brought no work and one phone call. I bought 4 copies. Those I gave to possible clients. Two eventually paid off. I went back to work. Success comes in increments. When you know you are accomplished at the art of engraving and still have no recognition, don’t hesitate to let others know of your abilities. Local news papers are fond of stories about artists and are a good step in spreading your name. Remember papers need to fill their pages and you can do that. Then there is the Gun show circuit. I will tell you a bit about it in my next post. And if I ever figure out how to upload photos,(success comes in increments) They are on the way. Have a glorious day.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this is so great to hear. we surely want to see a pic or 2 of your work. it cant be too shabby, you know, or the big boys would never have run with it ! congrats.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Joseph..I belive I read this article which got me to call you on the telephone. You probably don't remember me, but I called you at your hotel one night when you were teaching at the Montgomery Community College. I was interested in the engraving vise that the Italian engravers use? We had a very nice conversation, you told me about your trip to Italy, and your engraving classes. I will be buying your book, I am anxious to read it, also hope you contribute to Sam's forum. Your knowledge is priceless. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
Manassas, VA

Latest posts

Sponsors