Engagement Ring

This is the first bit of jewelry I've made in the past 10 years or so. The first picture shows the diamond in its setting after it has been soldered into the band (a 6 mm Comfort Band, 18K white gold) and while I am soldering small circlets of 22KY gold wire next to the prongs. These then become the petals of the flower in the second picture. In it you can also see the flowers next to it that have two mele diamonds bead set in the band. I used another 22KY wire circle to make the bead setting. In the third picture you can see the engraving. This design repeats on the other side as well. The fourth picture is the flower with mele diamond on the back of the ring. All the flowers are made by a combination of chasing and engraving.

The ring is for my favorite customer...my Fiance, Glenda. We went to high school together in Longview, WA 30+ years ago. Went to our 30 year HS reunion together a couple years back, and had a great time (although in HS we couldn't exchange 10 words without arguing). She was in Seattle, I was in Honolulu. July of last year decided Seattle was a much better place to be. Rigged and prepped my sailboat (fifth picture) for sailing to Seattle. Left Honolulu April 12, arrived Seattle May 6. Asked Glenda to marry me on the dock. Needed wedding rings and decided, since I arrived unemployed, to set up shop rather than find someone to make rings like I wanted them to look.

The wedding band is in progress. Its pictures will be posted Monday. The wedding is next Saturday, Aug. 25, honeymoon is a week sailing in south Puget Sound.

Looking forward to a long association with this forum from Seattle. Hopefully my photography will improve along with my engraving.

I love seeing everyone's pictures. I look forward to the day when my work will be of the caliber of so many of you.

Aloha, and thank you all in advance for any criticisms, comments, suggestions, hints anyone wishes to make.

Respectfully submitted,
Robert Booth
The Koa Bench Goldsmith

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 183
  • GaleForcesm.jpg
    GaleForcesm.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 134

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert I like the sculpted look you got. What I don't understand though is why you set the dia set before you finished the sculpting. Nothing like waiting to the last minute to make the ring:) I did the same made mine a week before I got married.
Good luck and congratulations.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Robert,
Twenty or so years ago, I read a book called "A New Way of Life" about a young live-aboard family. The book sparked a dream of adopting a simplified, debt-free lifestyle. As a result, I bought a broken down, old, teak hulled Cheoy Lee and spent a couple of years with my son fully resurrecting it.

We spent far more time in dry-dock than on the water, and once on the water we never made it outside the intercoastal waterway. Even so, I experienced some of the most memorable and peaceful moments of my life on that elegant little sloop. The years on that boat also gave me a wonderful opportunity to bond with my son on a level never afforded by little-leage. (He is now my very capable and reliable friend and business partner.) Though I ultimately opted to live my life on tierra firma, my commitment to and appreciation of the beauty and freedom that comes from living simply has never left me.

Fair winds and much happiness to you and your bride.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I appreciate your help and suggestions.

I started with the diamond already set as it was first a plain solitaire engagement ring that I decided I should make a little more individual. I really hate setting stones in solitaire settings and didnt want to reset it so left it inplace while I soldered the setting into its new home.

Wedding band is almost done. Yes, I'm cutting it a bit close.

Thanks again.

Aloha,
Robert Booth
The Koa Bench Goldsmith

Latest posts

Sponsors