Announcement: Engraving historic firearms by John Schippers

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well following the advice from members. I bought the book at the price of 146.00 with shipping. Its expensive to my standards but ill give it a review from a rookie standpoint I've searched you tube for reviews of anything engraving and sad to say there is almost nothing when it comes to equipment or materials ill do a review for the book once it gets here to include how well it was shipped, packaged, etc.

sent from my S3 using tapatalk 2 great app for forums

mrthe

I hope some day can buy a copy too,people talk very well about it ,please share your review ;)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm busy collecting aluminum cans to fund the purchase. i only need about 200,000 more cans to go !

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HA HA...so that puts me at 999, 9999 cans left for my lindsay classic..just opened my first pop

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ill do a review for the book once it gets here
It's not just a "book." It's an engraving course. Do the course before you do the review, otherwise your comments are just impressions without experience.

to include how well it was shipped, packaged, etc.
You can leave that part out as it's just trivial, usually leading to personal experiences of how one got screwed by UPS, FedEx, etc.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's not just a "book." It's an engraving course. Do the course before you do the review, otherwise your comments are just impressions without experience.

You can leave that part out as it's just trivial, usually leading to personal experiences of how one got screwed by UPS, FedEx, etc.

There's actually more to it people recommended this book for beginners as to base oneself and learn about parts materials and need to knows so if people are recommending for someone such as me I would believe I would be a perfect candidate, is it simple to read, would it be a hard read, would you have to be experienced to understand what the book says there are many factors to consider. my review would be for novice people like myself. Maybe this book would be for experienced gravers so beginners would not need to invest in such a book at that time. Just a thought there are two sides to every review.

And as of an Engraving courses you mention I was unaware that's what it was! A review would have helped me better understand what I was purchasing.
So I think this would require a before review and then after review

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is a simple read.
It is for people exactly like you, but still has things that the experienced can learn.
It goes from the simple to the complex, is full of illustrative color pictures.
You will love it, as there is nothing better (past or present), Meek's book notwithstanding.
If you have the passion, you will love it.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found this book still available through the NMLRA if anyone is interested:

https://nmlrashop-org.3dcartstores.com/Engraving-Historic-Firearms_p_11.html

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
If memory serves, when John's book was first released it was reviewed to some degree on the two forums. It's written and illustrated in a way that one can use it as a step by step learning experience. I find it much easier to follow than Meek's book, which is about the only in depth book on the subject at the time to compare. John is a passionate engraver and gentleman and I find his book to be an extension of the man. Enjoy!
Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you're into muzzle loaders I think it's a great reference. As for the engravings and patterns, I don't care much for them. Good book but it's not on my must-have list.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Just as an aside to the aluminum can collectors, it takes 23 1/2 cans to make one pound, and your large plastic kitchen garbage bags, a 30 gallon, I think, holds 150 uncrushed cans. With scrap prices, at least around here, being at a historic low, I have no idea how long the truck fleet would be that would be needed to go to the scrapyard. Around here, you don't even see the bums anymore looking for anything. . .there's just no cans to be found!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just as an aside to the aluminum can collectors, it takes 23 1/2 cans to make one pound, and your large plastic kitchen garbage bags, a 30 gallon, I think, holds 150 uncrushed cans. With scrap prices, at least around here, being at a historic low, I have no idea how long the truck fleet would be that would be needed to go to the scrapyard. Around here, you don't even see the bums anymore looking for anything. . .there's just no cans to be found!

And... this relates to John Schippers' book how? :confused:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Earlier on in the thread, Monk mentioned collecting cans to fund the purchase of the book, and then Carlos needed to do the same to pay for a Lindsay Classic...

Thereby causing the market price and necessary quantity of cans to be collected to be discussed at some length.

I don't recall an in depth review of the Schipper book ever being done? But I have been known to miss or forget things once in while.

I think the last time was back in 1976... or was it 1977? (Or was one of those years the last time I made a mistake?)

B.

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I thought that question would arise, and I just wanted to reflect on the futility of aluminum can gathering for a source of revenue. . .a while back, it could be done, and the book purchased. Now, scrap prices, here, are less than one-fifth of what they were. Monk will have to come up with another revenue gathering method!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Tire weights? Bottles instead of cans? In this state they have a "guaranteed" return value, as do cans - I think?

When I last did a bicycle tour from Vancouver to Tijuana, I noticed that that two most common things alongside the roads (besides road kill) - seemed to be towels and bungee cords or tiedowns.

I speculate that if a guy/gal wanted to open a thriving business selling those items he/she would only have to make that ride once a year to restock.

Strangely, both the towels and the rubber tiedowns all seemed to be brand new? (It was summertime, which may explain all the towels)

Musta seen over a thousand of them lying alongside the roads... more'n enough to finance a book...

Brian

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I speculate that if a guy/gal wanted to open a thriving business selling those items
Historically speaking, Ragpicker was once an honorable profession for the poor underclass. They also collected bones and bottles.
He would push his two wheeled cart thru the neighborhoods calling, "Rags, Bones, Bottles Today" The rags were used to make paper, the bones charred for boneblack, and the bottles re-used.

In the 50's, we had an old German immigrant who had a bicycle with large baskets fore and aft. He sold Watkins products door to door. He rode from town to town and made the circuit twice a year. Now you can only get Watkins products at flea markets and the peddlers have been replaced with Amway salesmen.

During cotton picking season, our roads are littered with cotton. One enterprising gent put sideboards on his pickup and spent days gathering cotton until his truck was full. Then he took it to the gin, however he was unable to prove ownership. He was arrested and sent to jail for felony theft. I guess one should stick to being a cotton-pickin, finger lickin, chicken plucker.

Latest posts

Sponsors