Hiring a engraver to engrave bicycle lugs?

bidilover

Hi,

I would be very interested in finding somebody who could engrave me bicycle lugs in scroll design (the metal parts that hold the tubes together, a picture is below) the engraver should also do the designs of the engravings, perhaps couple of gold inlays would be also necessary

(All the chrome curly parts would need to be engraved)

The lugs would be somewhat like in the picture, also I would look for a person who could engrave me parts also, same style and depth as it's done in the other picture...

The bicycle frame is big, but the fork and the pars can be engraved normally, but frame should be attached in vetical position and it would be held on a rotating holder wich i would provide, a counterweight should be used to make the rotating smooth...

If you can recommend me anybody, or you are interested in giving me an estimate how much this would cost(I know it's no crank.jpg lugs.jpg sf.jpg crank.jpg lugs.jpg sf.jpg cheap) to be done, please contact me by PM...

Thanks a lot

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
What Leonard said.

The lugs are sure pretty, who made them. I suppose if the lugs are chromed they would have to be engraved before chroming.

Peter

bidilover

Hi,

Yes the parts are engraved separated from the bike, they´re much easier to engrave than the lugs perhaps, but nevertheless please note, the lugs will be platinum plated, but nevertheless the engraver CAN MAKE MISTAKES, if he just can properly sand away or remove the mistake.... i would just platinum plate the sanded area again...
Does anybody can even guess how much approximately this kind of work would cost?
Thanks a lot

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even I can tell you part of why this isn't going to be cheap: the shapes are very complex to work with. Heck, they look a bit tricky even to hold, let alone engrave. And whoever managed to get those lovely scrolls around those complex corners did an extremely good job.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting... I asked a couple of high end bike shops if they would be interested in this type of work a couple of years ago. The one thing they kept telling me was that any engraving on the very high end bike parts would void the warranty so no one wanted to even try. Are you the maker of the bike/lugs? Is this a one of a kind job, or are you looking for someone to do this on a regular basis?

spadebit

My home is in the central California mountains, a
Hey nice bike you posted here- they are drop dead gorgeous- look like Rivendell frames?? The frame lugs are beautifully done. I engraved a bike for my daughter about 10 years ago. I swore the next time I was offered the chance to engrave a bike that I would just be "water boarded" instead.Have ta say, that who ever cut the ones shown done a great job of working on difficult surfaces and material. Sure like to know who that was?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking at the example bike, I see what appears to be 2 different forms of embellishment. The neck is cut in the traditional manner. The Crank is also hand engraved. I found an older photo of that crank in an unpolished state. Either one of these don't present any huge hurdles. Especially to someone that does a lot of motorcycle work and is used to larger parts. The Frame on the other hand was not engraved. These are lugs cut in this pattern and then brazed on. Either factory applied or by a custom builder. An outer sleeve pierced in this pattern with the main tubes going into them.
Finding someone to engrave the alum. parts shouldn't be too hard. The lugs on the other hand, good luck!
Hope your project works out!

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Not sure if a repost of a pinterest photo will appear here, but I just spotted this one. Simpler than the original post, still interesting. Looks waterjet or thermal cut, not hand cut?

b68b37bcdc69c5f0e5e341ad8464675c.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors