Help, please: 1st steps for a Rookie

xplizit

Hello all. My name is Kenny. I live in El Paso, TX. I am always very amazed by the artwork and skill that goes into engraving. While I was deployed I tried to do some research on trying to start engraving. I couldnt really seem to find the information I was looking for.

I need to know what equipment I can practice with. All I ever hear is Lindsey and GRS which sounds like a great thing to end up with in the future, however, Id like to know if there are any tools I can use as a beginner that arent going to set me back $2000 right off the back. I began drawing scroll with a pencil and moved on to rotary tools. The rotary tool obviously isnt what I want to be working with. Please HELP! :)

Any suggestions on an INEXPENSIVE tool to start training with? Thank you for your time.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
xplizit,

Welcome to the forum.

Although many for the engravers have expensive professional tools, there are alternatives that may help with a smaller budget. You can give NGraver Company a call and ask for advice. http://www.ngraver.com/index.htm
They supply affordable equipment for engravers. Another option is to watch for second hand tools on ebay.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving and carving is a hobby for me. I'm not in a hurry and I'm deeply satisfied push graving soft metals like copper and silver. I made my tools out of old drill and lathe bits and my handles from scrap hard wood. The hammer and chisel are also an inexpensive option.

John

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
X,

For a beginner who has to teach himself and can't afford the expense of power assisted engraving systems or travel to classes, I recommend buying the instructional manual entitled Engraving Historic Firearms by John Schippers. At $129. it may seem expensive but that book will teach you everything you need to know to make your own tools, create designs, and finish your work in the most basic and inexpensive manner. Even if your goal is not to engrave guns, especially muzzle loaders, the book contains everything you need to know to engrave just about anything. Here is a link to the book:http://www.airgraver.com/Engraving-Historic-Firarms-John-Schippers.htm

If you can, take a class which will save you lots of mistakes and frustration. The nearest qualified instructor to you is Johnny Weyerts in Alpine, Texas, about three hours from El Paso. Here is a link to his site: http://www.engravinginstruction.com/index.html

RB

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the james b. meeks book, "the art of engraving" , perhaps less informative than the book mentioned by roger, will give you an informed insight into what you will want to learn. hammer & chisel or simple push graving can be done on almost no budgetary requirement, look at the work done in europe with nothing more than a small hammer and a small hand-held chisel. the work is beyond belief, but none the less, it's done with those 2 simple little tools.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I started with Meeks book and it got me off to a good start,John Schippers has some great information in his book,but how many of you engraver past & present are able to use H&C in the Asian technique working toward yourself? I try it at the advice of Neil Hartiep and it was'nt easy,I like Meeks way with H&C better.Mr.Meek was a great guy he was always there to answer any questions when I called.Like Monk said all it takes is few simple tools and your on your way. J.J.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I went to the gun show recently and saw the two letters that Mr. Meek had actually sent to JJ. Mr. Meek was very generous with his knowledge and encouragement to JJ when he was just starting out. It's a testimony to the importance of good mentorship early on when trying to learn the art of engraving. James B. Meeks book, "The Art of Engraving" has withstood the test of time, as many people got their start using his book. Shippers book takes the instruction of hand engraving to a new level, but for those starting out James B. Meeks book, "The Art of Engraving" will get you off to a good start at an affordable price.

monk

Staff member
i too received a couple of letters from him early on. most generous of his time chatting with me on the phone. a true friend to anyone who developed an interest in this artform.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
If it were'nt for James Meek's book we would not be here today talking and exchanging tips & tricks on two forums and there would'nt be the engravers guild.Also lets not forget Bob Brownell founder of Brownell gunsmithing supplies who talked James Meek into writing the book.Back in day the book cost $19.95. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For the benefit of the OP and others new to engraving, the late James B. (Bruce) Meek was honored with a FEGA Life Membership for his contributions to American engraving. His book The Art of Engraving was the first text that I know of that dealt with gun engraving, where nearly all earlier works were limited to lettering and burin work on soft metals. http://www.engraverscafe.com/gallery/photoplog/index.php?n=2519

monk

Staff member
it was also his book that introduced us to the invention of john rohner, the gravermeister..i'd never heard of the gravermeister until james' book. thanks to his book, a whole new world was opened for me. and esp. the gravermeister. what a cool device. and mine still works flawlessly !

Latest posts

Sponsors