Engraving Scrollwork Start to Finish - an overview & review

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engraving Scrollwork Start to Finish
an instructional video by Master Engraver Sam Alfano :graver:

Sam asked me if I would view his newest engraving video and perhaps make a few comments about it. :eek:

My initial feeling is this is a must have tool that everyone from beginner to the advanced engraver will want to own. And, it would be the perfect companion to The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls also by Sam Alfano.

This video takes the viewer through the entire process of engraving a pocket knife literally from start to finish. Sam begins by showing a good way of holding a knife in the engraving vise that could also be used for any irregularly shaped object you wish to engrave. He then goes through the process of scribing the outline border and engraving it.

In the next steps of drawing the backbone scrolls and leaf elements, Sam does this all by hand using his Transfer Wax, pencil and scribe. Unless you are very good at freehand drawing, I think you could use many different methods to design and transfer it to the metal for engraving. So, I viewed those sections with that in mind and also enjoyed seeing another way of accomplishing the task.

He goes on to engrave the outlines of the backbones and elements with a very good section on background removal. Sam demonstrates two methods of background removal using both graver and the high speed rotary tool and their use in combination with each other.

There is a good demonstration of how to transfer the design elements and mirror them to the other side of the knife using clear tape and Transfer Wax. There are some other methods to do very much the same thing but this is a method that works well also.

The stippling section is interesting as Sam demonstrates his method of using a pointed round tool held slightly above the surface to be textured. He makes tiny circles with the tool and cautions the student to avoid the sidewalls. Also, he mentions to try to maintain a fairly uniform angle to the surface of the metal for a more even appearance.

The sections about shading, crosshatching and blackening finish the project.

The video is sharp, clear and well lit. Sam only narrates when it’s needed and there is no annoying background music to endure as I’ve seen done in some other videos. Everything is shown as Sam sees it through his microscope so it will directly relate to what you will see when you do it yourself. It’s probably the next best thing to actually being with Sam in person for the lessons. You have the added ability to watch and re-watch it as many times as you find necessary. And, you can rewind or fast forward as you desire.

Bottom line: Buy the video! The price is cheap compared to the wealth of information contained in it.
:thumbsup:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I fully endorse the Doc's review/critique of Sam's new video: "Engraving Scrollwork Start to Finish".

Nicely written, Doc!

We all want to be moving towards our own designs, however with such a clear teaching video, which is about polishing our cutting vocabulary and tool use, for me, it makes very good sense to be having a go at our own attempt at doing a practice knife sticking strictly to a direct copy. Why? Because the distance in results between master and student will jump out at us all the better. As well as absorbing one experienced engraver's approach to the whole project, here is a great chance to 'practice your hand writing', like we would do in school. Can't really get too much of that. This is the perfect video to try to imitate, as we will readily see what makes a good result. It is great to see Sam sketch his backbone lines and leaf elements, and miraculously his tool cuts a very sweet curve where we see a multi line sketch. Clearly his eye is out ahead of the train, laying new track, and many of us might need to get our pencil work more refined before we pick up a tool, yet it is wonderful to see his inner eye at work. Barry Lee Hands comes to mind as another confident 'rough sketch to excellent cut' master. Something for us to aim towards. Our finesse, or lack of it, will jump out right away with important details of subtle 'beauty' cuts that define the perimeter of leaf elements, and the lighter contrast of Sam's shading cuts when compared to his backbone and leaf perimeters. Many of us post pretty good cutting, but with shadings as bold as our main lines. Oops, now that I have written this, I better soon have a go myself.

Sam, what are the sources for such stainless knifes that cut well, so we don't start into any stubborn alloys?

None of this kind of practice-copying should stop us thinking about good balance in design, and coming up with our own ideas, when it comes to marketing your own genuine work.

best

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you Doc! I appreciate you taking the time to watch and review the video and post your comments.
And thank you Rod! Your comments are always appreciated as well.

As for the knives, I don't know if there's any difference between the Al Mar knives that GRS sells vs. the ones from A.G. Russell. The reason I mention this is because I know that in the past GRS has worked with knife manufacturers (Buck for instance) and had them make bolsters of softer stainless steel vs. their standard stainless which was extremely tough to cut.

Sponsors