Gold inlay clamp?????

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I saw this on Francolini's sight and it struck my interest. Actually, he had a couple other clamping ideas that I took note of as well.

Anyway, DO any of you know what this gadget is and where I can get one. I know it is a clamp he is using to hold gold down while hammering it in. That part is obvious. What I am asking is...is this clamp made from some other hardware store/auto parts store finding that he has altered or is it something that has to be special made?

I appears to be made from a casting so I am wondering if it started out its life as something else that I might be able to get my hands on.

Here is the link
http://www.francolini.com/images/s33582a/recoil11_lg.jpg

Thanks in advance

Andrew Biggs

Hi Ray

Now I have seen that before. Issue # 71 In the FEGA Engraver magazine. Mike Dubber uses an identical one for inlays in a photo on page 11. That suggests that it's a standard item that has been adapted or modified for inlay use. Or maybe home made with plans floating about somwhere.

Cheers
Andrew

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
In one of the fega seminars Bob Evans shows how he made a similar clamp using very simple items including a block of wood. I'm sure Rex Pederson would have that video at the tip of his finger.:D

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
given a set of dimensions, a simple clone of that hickey would be easy to make. drilling, tapping, soldering- whatever. i could make a gaget like this, but a dimensional dwg. would be reqd.
monk45@verizon.net

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made a mini version of it last night on the lathe for doing inlay around a pen barrel. Worked pretty good.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ray: I made a quickie version out of thermo-loc. I think it could work well. / ~Sam

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Ray .. on that clamp your looking for .. I asked Mike Dubber about it and he said that he think Ray La Toureau makes them .. ron p.

Latest posts

Sponsors