Practice plates

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I am posting some pictures of the practice plate I did engrave when I was in Belgium. I thought it might be useful for people who want to learn to engrave. Unfortunately I do not have the pictures of the most basic practice plate, the one I got are from the end of first year beginning/mid second year.
I hope it will help.
Please do keep in mind that I did that over 20 years ago. I post them because I know how difficult it could be to create ones own practice plate design. I think they show a good progression (from 1 to 5) of an increasing level of difficulties, use them as such.

Attachments

• practice3.jpg
    practice3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 228
  • practice1.jpg
    practice1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 226
  • practice2.jpg
    practice2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 212
  • practice4.jpg
    practice4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 185
  • practice5.jpg
    practice5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry,

Excellent work, thanks for sharing. Solid designs that still look great 20 years later! By the way, those look a whole lot better than my practice plates from by beginning days.

Weldon

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, Very Nice, Hope to someday...
What do you mean by end of first year beginning/mid year???
Were you an apprentice for year one full time???
Please explain...
JL Seymour

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, Very Nice, Hope to someday...
What do you mean by end of first year beginning/mid year???
Were you an apprentice for year one full time???
Please explain...
JL Seymour

No, I went to school, at the "Ecole d'Armurerie" in Liege. Of course we did engrave, learn about art (mostly sculpting and painting), we learn to draw, we even had math, French, etc classes. Just a regular "technical school". The program for engraving last 2 years.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thierry,

Thanks for sharing. If you are coming to the gunshow next week-end bring those plates with you I would like to get a close-up view of them. Keep up the good work.

JJ

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thierry: Those are beautifully done. Congratulations. I hope you add them to the Gallery so they can easily be found for future reference. / ~Sam

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry, That is excellent work. I see Philippe Grifn'ee style in some of the work. Did he have anything to do with the school? It looks like what Philippe was doing about that time. Great work!.............Ron S

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, That is excellent work. I see Philippe Grifn'ee style in some of the work. Did he have anything to do with the school? It looks like what Philippe was doing about that time. Great work!.............Ron S

Hello,

They were (maybe are) the standard pattern we were suppose to be doing at the time. Actually Philippe was one of my teacher (only part time, he was teaching with Delcour most of the time). Mr Floren and Dossin were my full time time teachers.
Good catch Ron

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry,
You hit the nail on the head, these layouts for practice plates will be very helpful.
Thank you for sharing,
Stephen

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry,
You hit the nail on the head, these layouts for practice plates will be very helpful.
Thank you for sharing,
Stephen

Thanks, I hope they will be. If I got the time I shall try to make some more basic patterns and I will post them.

Latest posts

Sponsors