New Camera!

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
:) I got a great deal on an Olympus Digital SLR. Now I just have to find the time to figure out how to use it:confused: .

Attachments

• Copy of P1010147.JPG
    Copy of P1010147.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 175

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finished a small project for my ever-indulgent wife last night and I'm thinking about doing a post on how to do pictures 'right'.

The number one thing you can use with your camera to get better pictures is: a tripod.

Lovely rings and a pretty darn good picture!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congratulations on your new Olympus! Nice shot and nice engraving, too.

I hope you don't mind my couple of tweaks in Photoshop.

KCSteve: Any advice you can share on taking better photos will be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1010147.jpg
    P1010147.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 113

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Steve is right on the money with a tripod. I have a small 12" maximum ht. tripod that is great for table top work.

Digital cameras don't like motion when they are trying to take a picture. They are constantly trying to autofocus.

So i use a tripod, and use the TIMER at 2 seconds. This allows me to take my hands off the camera before the camera takes the picture. I think a remote trigger would be better than setting the timer everytime, but that is on my long line of wishes.

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. I'll take any advice I can get. I do have a little tripod but it's a little unstable with anything larger than a pocket camera.

Sam- You can fix all my pictures in photoshop :D . Can photoshop make me a better engraver as well? Actually, I engraved those silver sample rings 5 or more years ago. I hope I'm a little bit better now. I know for a fact that my engraving has improved since I found this forum.

Most of my work is either custom or commissioned, so I'll have to wait until I produce another noteworthy piece worth photographing before I post any new pics.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll see about doing up a nice tutorial. It's one of the few things where I have knowledge worth contributing here.

For a starting tip: http://www.porters.com - they're a great source for photography 'stuff' (as opposed to photography gear like lenses and cameras and such)

And a relevant item from them - Photo-Studio-In-a-Box for $79.99. It's got your light tent, some lights, a camera stand, and even a carrying case.

Heck, I might have to get one of those - you know, just to have everything in one spot. ;)

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Steve -- a tutorial would be great! I need all the help I can get. I'm going to order the studio in a box right now. Thanks

Santo

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Steve and Sam-

Do you guys use a macro lens? Will I be able to achieve decent detail photographing jewelry with the standard 14-45mm lens that came with the camera?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

I often use my macro lens but as with most things it depends. The main thing you need is to be able to focus on your subject at a distance where it pretty well fills the frame. Many macro lenses focus so closely that you can't get a whole knife (just to pick something) in frame. They're great for those close up detail shots though!

Set your camera on the table and lay a ruler running out from the lens. Stand something on the table and find out how close you can get it to the lens and still focus. Then see if, at that distance, you can a) get the whole thing in frame, and b) get it to fill the frame. There are trade-offs back and forth - heck, I've used a 300mm lens to do 'macro' type shots. Had to be 5' away but at 5' it has a pretty small field of view. It's actually a good way to get a closeup shot of something smallish when you can't get close - like a flower beyond a fence.

And the other Mark (mbroder): Does the WalMart one include lights and a carry case? That's the advantage of the one Porter's has. The light tent is nice but very easy to 'fake' - milk jugs, storage tubs, old bowls, - just about anything translucent will work.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just went on the Photo-in-a-box web site and was informed their security certificate had been revoked. Good thing it let me know as I recently had someone try to buy airplane parts in Singapore with my business account credit card....and I don't own an airplane!!!

Andrew Biggs

Mark.............beautiful rings and good photos

Sam.........Exactley what tweeks did you do in Photoshop?

Steve......That "Photo-Studio-In-A-Box" looks just like the bees knees and for $50 to $80 an excellent buy. A photo tutorial would be great.

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark (mbroder)

Might have to swing by Wal-Mart and pick one up!

I think I'm going to wait and do the tutorial on Saturday when I have time during the day to do it. That way I can show using the Sun for your light - plus I'll more time to do it.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mark, Did you shoot those rings with the standard lens that came with the camera? And What lens is it? Did you use the lighting tent? what kind of lights or does it matter?

Ed DeLorge

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Ed-

I used the standard 14-40mm lens and the studio in a box tent. I used the lights that came with the studio in a box (they're 20watt halogens)and also 2 -5500kelvin flourescent bulbs.

smays

I recently bought a set of close up filters for my camera. I paid around $90 for the set. The quality is probably not comparable to a macro lens but it is a quick fix until I buy a more expensive lens. Does anyone else use them?

Shawn

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Adding more glass in front of your lens degrades resolution. With an extremely high quality lens and equally high quality close-up add-on, you might get acceptable results. My advice is to put that $90 toward a good lens.

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Hey guys, I just got a new camera also! Nikon coolpix p1. The guy at the camera store told me it had the better lens. It takes some wonderful close ups. BUT NOW I HAVE SOME NEW PROBLEMS! this question is kind of addressed to sam but anybody chime in.When i go to shrink my picture for uploading in a simple program called Picture it it gets all blurry and broken up. I did not have this problem with my old fuji.I did not install the software that came with the camera on my computer could this be the problem. The original images look fine till i try and shrink them. I pm kcsteve but thought i would come at this from a couple of directions. I have some good photos to share help!

Latest posts

Sponsors