Stainless Buck knife

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is one of those S/S Buck knives available through GRS. They are softer & easier to cut than the "regular" stainless ones available from Buck (done a few of those too). Did this one a while back as a donation for my son's school as they were doing a fund-raiser. Nothing extra-fancy, just thought you might like to see it.

Weldon

Attachments

• IMG_0017_edited.jpg
    IMG_0017_edited.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0022_edited.jpg
    IMG_0022_edited.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 267

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's a very nice look. i particularly like the look of a bolster effect where there is none.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
well executed design, surprised they (school) let a knife be in a fund raiser.:eek:
I have one of those but have yet to cut it.
Kent

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good Weldon. I especially like what you did to the cross. I guess your son goes to Catholic school.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks folks!
Yes, my son went to a (private) Christian school. The fund-raising auction wasn't held at the campus, so no problem with the knife.
Dave, I did the background behind the cross (raised gold inlay) with one of those little air erasers (pasche, I think it is) with a light abrasive powder. It is kind of messy, blowing grit everywhere you don't want it, lungs (wear a mask) knife innards, etc... but it creates a nice contrast.

Thanks,

Weldon

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love it! I'm gonna keep the pictures for inspiration if you don't mind, not to copy but to lean in that direction if you know what I mean. :D I've been meaning to make some solid stainless folders to engrave like that, just havn't had time yet. Keep up the good work & keep post'n. Dwayne

Swede

I've been practicing on cheap stainless folders recently. There is one in particular from the Knife Depot:

Gerber knife

This knife is of decent quality, and cuts beautifully. The price is right, too, $12.50. Even though it's a Gerber, it has "Winchester" etched on the blade. Anyway, this is a nice little knife for practice and for gifts that cuts well.

Here's another that I like:

S&W razor

This one has a small gold S&W medallion on one side; the other is plain. This one I have not yet cut, but again for the $$ it seems like a well made and unique little knife.

Last edited:

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon,
That really is a beautiful knife. Your layout is great as well as the execution. The treatment of the area around the cross may have been dirty work, but the payoff was well worth it! Congrats on a fine job.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone,

I just thought it would be nice to post a few pics of a "simple" project using a readily available item (this knife) as opposed to a high-end something or another. A project that goes pretty quick, isn't overly expensive and is achievable for those in the beginning / intermediate stages of learning. In other words, motivation for those who may find themselves discouraged or overwhelmed by trying to figure out what to do and what to do it on. Practice plates are necessary but I never found myself motivated by one the same way I get motivated by working on a functional piece. Sorry, don't mean to ramble on & on, just wanted to encourage others!

Weldon

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good points Weldon, everybody needs the "fear" of the actual job....Ha Ha :0 Makes you serious about what you are doing....and you get a little reward for overcoming that fear. I get butterflies to this day before starting one of my massive projects........I think all of us have felt that pang of anxiety. It will diminish with confidence, but it will probably never go away when you are pushing the boundaries and exploring the unknown.........good post..............and keep leaving those trails in steel for others to follow!......Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors