Question: Rotary tools

DeChristo

As a newbie to metal arts of any kind other than collecting hobo nickels, I have many questions.

Can anyone advise me on rotary tools. I have a dremel and was thinking about buying a flex shaft for it, which would probably be fine for rough work and polishing, but it is far from a precision tool!

Considered purchasing a Foredom which I have been told is much better, but I could probably do a lot with the Dremel flex that I could do with a Foredom. I read on the forum that Sam Alfano uses the NSK because it is more of a precision tool, but it is really expensive. I have seen Chicago pneumatics online pop up often.

I am looking for something a bit cheaper than NSK that is capable of doing detail work. Is there anything of quality between Dremel and NSK? Any advice? Chris

PS-In the market for a power hone setup if anyone has one laying around collecting dust (LOL, highly unlikely, but worth the ask!!!)

Andrew Biggs

Hi DeChristo

As you have discovered there are rotary tools and then there are rotary tools. This is an area where you get what you pay for and you must be clear in your mind exactly what you want from it.

There are a couple of issues you really need to think about. The first is centre of rotation. In other words does the point of the bur stay on it's own axis.? If it doesn't then it is useless for precision work. This is true of the Dremel tool.

The second is torque. If you wish to remove backgrounds only then torque is not an issue because you are only lightly brushing the background away. If you wish to drill holes then you need torque otherwise the rotary tool will bind in the hole and stop. This is important with stone setting.

My best advise to you is save your money and get a good rotary tool from the start. You won't regret doing so. Whatever you do, do not let price dictate your purchase. Buy the right tool from the beginning otherwise it will end up gathering dust in your workshop.

Here's a quick rundown of a few rotary tools

Dremel……..good for home handyman repairs but of little use in detail work that we do. It does not have a good centre of rotation. Don't even consider it.

Foredom type flexishaft rotaries……………Have excellent torque and most have perfect centre of rotation and full speed control through a foot pedal. Their drawback is the flexishaft which can be a pain when doing detail work. These are used extensively in the jewellery trade. Choose the handpiece wisely as there are a few to choose from.

Micromotors (e.g. Foredom)……….Perfect centre of rotation but varying degrees of torque. Some are on the light side and others on the heavy side. So check before buying if torque is an issue. They are also much lighter to hold and perfect for detail work.

NSK E-Max micro motor……..Perfect centre of rotation and full speed control. This is what I use and it's a wonderful thing. You get the best of both worlds. With an attachment you get high torque or it can be used without it for background removal. It's the Rolls Royce of micro motors and I wouldn't be without it.

All of the above are controlled by electricity and take standard 3/32nd shanked burs. Some of the above will also let you change to 1/16th shanked burs.

NSK 850 air turbine……..Controlled by air from a compressor. Takes 1/16" burs which can be limiting however they are available online from various places. It's a great tool but has it's limitations. Perfect for background removal. You can also buy a foot control for it.

Cheers
Andrew

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love my 850, but I only use it for background removal. I have a Stengel I use for polishing small parts like screws.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Everything Andrew said I can second.
I have been using foredoms since I was a kid, and if the handpiece is in good shape, even the three jaw works good.
Presently I have two foredoms with NSK handpieces, with the foredom adapter, I like them a lot.
Harbor frieght has a chinese knockoff foredom style machine, which is less than 100 bucks, I have one and it works great even with the stock three jaw, but I also use it with the NSK handpiece with adapter.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew gave you a great rundown on rotary tools in general. If you don't need a lot of torque, then I would recommend a 45,000 rpm RAM brand micromotor. They are relatively inexpensive (under $250.00) and are well made. I do bird carvings for competitions and have used my early RAM micromotor for over 10 years without any problems other than replacing the worn motor brushes. For the money, they can't be beat. I also use it for my cameo carving and polishing.

Joel Swensen

I think you should go for proxxon precision rotary tool FBS 115/E hand-held rotary tool with soft grip for comfortable control because this rotary tool is suitable for polishing, brushing, milling, grinding and drilling and perfect for rust removing, engraving, carving and cutting.

It has a special motor technology with adequate electronic speed allow you sturdy operation and stable torque at low speed. This tool is most suitable for micro-drilling, brushing and polishing and come with a reasonable price.

It allows you change your required accessories with shanks that do not want any key for the precision chuck and works vibration free because has a balanced motor that does not overheat. Also, you can use more comfortably with maximum control.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
De Christo, Are you looking for a tool to engrave with? Rotary tools aren't used for engraving, there are things they are useful for in engraving but I don't think you could carve a Hobo Nickel with one. There are companies that sell rotary tools saying they are engraving tools but beware If you're looking to do engraving like you see on this forum, it's done with a different set of tools.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
DeChristo,
I have had very good luck with the Gesswein ECO-Torque 280, model SDE-H37L1, 35,000 RPM.
It runs 110Volts and comes with a controller box, foot pedal and handpiece stand,
Changes Burs without tools. Plenty of power and very smooth.
Comes with a 3/32 inch collet and you can also order a 1/16 inch for dental burs.
Lowest price I have seen on Gesswein since was a $149 sale.

Out of curiosity, what would you guys recommend for high torque rotary tool that doesn't have an insane price point? I am on a student budget but I need to upgrade from my prodigy flexshaft to something that can cut stone seats more accurately and precise.

Latest posts

Sponsors