Work Centering Alternative Solution

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Work centering under a microscope can be done in two ways; (1) with a centering vise which have mechanical limitations and are expensive or; (2) by moving the entire vise. Being a short person the amount of inches between the surface vise sets on and the eye pieces becomes critical when when using a .40 Barlow Lense in the scope so the device has to be a minimum vertical height or depth.

Due to the cost of a centering vice and since 99% of my engraving is done by air assist tools I decided to see if I could come up with a means of moving the entire vice for centering my work. I tried may different plastic slider pads and found them to be sticky at the wrong time if I was moving the vise and cutting at the same time. After going through the pad exercise I decided that in order to get the smoothness I wanted the vise would have to set on a ball bearing surface.

The device I created requires minimum space beneath engravers vice to function. The engravers vice base sets on a bed if ball bearings which allows the vice to move smoothly and freely and I can cut while moving the ball around. I have buffered the ball bearings so the vice moves only when pressure is applied to move it and it stops moving immediately when pressure is taken off.

Attached are some photo's of my bench which I made to engrave barreled actions and other long objects and my centering device with the dust-trash cover on and off.

Roger Henrichs

Attachments

• vise1.jpg
    vise1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 748
  • vise2.jpg
    vise2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 758
  • vise3.jpg
    vise3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 816

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Green Rag

Hey Andrew,
No guff from down under. The green terry cloth rag as you call it may not be pretty but it sure keeps the crap out of the bearings. Every now and then I take of and shake it out or if I'm kind I even vacuum it. I tried other fabrics but the terry cloth seems to work the best. Good to know you'e still live and kicking

Kelly,
I used steel BB gun BB's for bearings. The base for the vise is a 4" plastic end cap for a irrigation pipe and a steel washer.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors