Thoughts on this hand engraved Sherrif badge

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
You absolutely can hand cut lettering into a badge and apply it with hard fired enamel. However, having worked at Ed Jones for 4 years, I absolutely guarantee that the letters in this particular badge were individually hand stamped with Ed Jones font steel stamps. Like I mentioned above, 90 percent of the lettering was completed using this method. The other 10 percent was done with the lettering directly placed in the die so that the lettering was stamped at the same time that the badge was struck using drop hammers (not hydraulic presses). this process was reserved exclusively for high production runs. I would also absolutely guarantee that this badge was die struck utilizing a drop hammer press as well.

Patchbook

This style badge has a lot of history.

I remember one of my first solo treks to the bay area just out of my teens. I was already working as a very young peace officer in the early 1970s (that was just after CA changed adulthood from 21 to 18, and a few agencies hired sworn under 21). My Southern California agency wore a seven point star, and that badge design had always been my favorite. My destination was the Ed Jones Company in Oakland.

I recall my amazement as I walked into a very old building with windows facing the street, and could see most of the workshop from the front counter. Everything was done by hand, and these were craftsmen. A glass enclosed display case greeted me, along with a gal by the name of Pat Sizemore. I was like a kid at Disneyland for the first time.

I was immediately stuck by the engraved badges that were a sensational piece of art. As they had been for over a century then, they still are a fashion piece of emblematic jewelry for the peace officer forty years later.

I recently acquired a hand engraved Alameda Deputy Sheriff eagle top shield by Ed Jones Company in sterling silver made likely around the 1920s-40s. The design is fairly common in collector circles, and it has even been faked by the Gode Company in Germany, so buyer beware.

I have attached a few examples from a quick search of internet graphics. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• 983FB7F3-18C3-4436-99AA-745BFE536412.jpg
    983FB7F3-18C3-4436-99AA-745BFE536412.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 8971EA93-4FA3-4E30-8727-D00587895646.jpg
    8971EA93-4FA3-4E30-8727-D00587895646.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 73

Patchbook

More examples

These circa 1930s Alameda County Deputy Sheriff badges are a great example of the engravers art. A quick glance reveals that they are the same design badge, but a close examination opens your eyes to the engravers skill and artistic eye. Count the feathers on the eagles, or look closely at the rim around the shields. They are indeed unique pieces of emblematic jewelry. These were made by Ed Jones & Company, and are marked Sterling.

Attachments

• A3DA42E5-F45B-4B4E-A09C-E5BA20CE6C37.jpg
    A3DA42E5-F45B-4B4E-A09C-E5BA20CE6C37.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Sponsors