Critique Request First drawing results

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Here are my first drawing results after the lessons from Sam. I the first one I was just trying to get as much layers in a drawing as I could. The second drawing I’ve made to engrave. I would appreciate your comments to the sketches.

Scroll ASW 001c.jpg

Scroll ASW 002c.jpg

Andrew Biggs

Hi Hora

Looking good!!

Your top drawing is way too crowded and everything just disappears in a mass of jungle leaves. It needs some pruning with heavy shears. :)

The bottom drawing is much better and is a lot easier on the eye.........one tip I would suggest is colouring your backgrounds in with pencil. This will show a up a lot of areas that are not so good. It takes a bit of extra time but is worth the effort.

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think that the two are both very well done. The first will provide an overall texture to a work. Little background removal but boy is that a lot to shade. Well not really I guess. look at all the lines on bulino work. The second seems to be a focal point type work. Possibly a concho or pendent. Could remove backgrounf inside and leave outside for contrast with a border perhaps.

I think both are very workable styles and both could be pursue to good effect. Fred

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent, Hora!

The only suggestions I can make is perhaps break that large leaf at the upper left on the first drawing into two leaves. I really like the upper drawing design; perhaps just a shade less on the shading.

Keep up the good work.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
My own scroll design engraved

Finally I have engraved a scroll that I designed myself.

By doing my own design I discovered a lot of "problems" that I hadto solve or that I have to take care of in a new design.

The base material is stainless 304, 2"x 2". The graver used is a 120°. I haveblackened it with black etching ink.

I would love to get some advice to improve my results.

Attachments

• Scroll ASW002E1c1.jpg
    Scroll ASW002E1c1.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 140

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Je gaat als een speer Hora, mooi werk !!!
Nice work, I can´t give you any advice on this, perhaps the only thing to mention is you obvious forgot to shade one leaf a bit left from the middle.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say it's a fine design and you did a great job of shading. But you missed a leaf with your shade lines! You're really heading the right direction. We want to see more.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Willem, Mark,
I would like to say it is part of the design, but maybe beter to say its nearly finished?

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hora,

An excellent design, and well cut!

I am just home from a visit to see how my injured eye is holding up, and my pupils are a bit dilated, so my critique may be invalid, however, I would like to see a bolder outline of the outer boundary lines of your elements, as it stands the shading is approximately the same weight as your main element outlines. My recommendation would be to go over the outlines and, as Sam does, have a bit more of the beauty cut effect where you lean inwards and give the outer cuts some interest in their changing widths. This will immediately give a sense of depth?

I hope you get over to Reno again?

best

Rod

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Revised to advice

Rod, Willem, Mark & Mark,

Thanks very much for your comments. Much appriciated. Exept for te darkening of the background I incorporated most of the hints into the revised work. As I am now drawing ne scrolls again I have all ye comments from this thread in mind, . . . I hope. :beatup:

Attachments

• Scroll ASW002E1c2.jpg
    Scroll ASW002E1c2.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 87

Andrew Biggs

Hi Hora

you've come a long way :)

You have some design issues with this.

The area at the bottom is very messy and disjointed. Your origin is the small scroll/leaf structure at the bottom. Then you have the scrolls growing out at an angle with the band around them. It dosn't work.

The bottom scroll/leaf structure should act as a kind of vase for holding the rest of the scrolls etc. In other words they grow out of the bottom scroll/leaves.

I've attached a couple of rough ideas for you to hopefully explain it better.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Hora-2.jpg
    Hora-2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Hora-1.jpg
    Hora-1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts

Sponsors