Keeping Objects Centered Under Scope

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum. What type of problem are you having with the large magna block? Is it too tall to fit comfortably under the microscope at the height you need the microscope to be, or is the field of vision moving off your subject as you rotate the block?

I have had both issues in the past. I'm shorter than most on the forum so I have my magna block on 2 upside down milk crates to bring it to the correct height for me. This allows for my microscope to be much lower than if I had my magna block on a table or other stand. Some people have their blocks on a drill press stand so they can raise or lower the height as the need arises.

As for the object staying centered in the field of vision of the scope you have 2 options. The first is the centering vise which you know about. The other option is to get a turntable and put teflon feet on the bottom of your vise and scoot it around on the turntable. You will lock the rotation of your vise and use the rotation of the turntable. This way once you get the object lined up under your scope it will stay in the field of vision even if the vise or object is off center. It will also allow you to nudge the object back and forth as you work on it to keep it in sight.

Let me know if you need more information. I have used the magna block and GRS turntable with my scope for a long time and haven't had a problem. I've also recently purchased the micro block and it works well for scooting the work around under the scope too.

Latest posts

Sponsors