Couple more coin carvings

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeh, yeh yeh, we know he's great. But you notice he still hasn't responded to my query as to why he has switched East and West on that coin. He's up to something sinister I bet!

TexasTerry

Doc Mark the problem is that you are looking at the back of the coin. If you looked at it from the other side everything would be in the correct orientation or you could try a mirror. Take your pick. It is still incredible work!

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Holy cow, I just now got it. The old brain is slow. East / West, my explanation is the way I am sitting instead of a compass or map, will that do? Totally got by me the artist/engraver. I do however like the explanation given about it being correct from the other side. So what do you think, should I offer to change that, or does an error make it worth more?
You guys might appreciate this, and it may further explain why I did this. I am so used to doing things backwards in dies, that I am often confused about which way to put letters. A friend once asked me to engrave a monogram on a key chain for him. When I gave him the key chain, he said it was very nice but why did I engrave it backwards. I am so used to doing things in reverse, that it is hard to get out of that habit. He uses that key chain to this day. Guess I'm not perfect is all I can say. The E and W are reading right, but did the old switch as if my brain was partially in a die mode. Well, there you have it.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it's more valuable with the reversed East-West. Tell the customer that it's similar to a stamp or coin collector looking for those extremely rare printing/minting errors that occasionally got by the inspectors. Think of the famous upside down Air Mail stamp and how much it's worth!

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Simple answer, Steve: You are a surveyor at heart. Bearings are written in the form N 45˚W or S 82˚E and in the northern hemisphere the surveyor's compass roses are set up with N at the top and W to the right

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love all three, and think that the reversed E-W makes the coin more interesting. It doesn't need a explanation, and would make an interesting study to see how many people who view it even see it on their first take. I will admit that I didn't see it until it was pointed out in the thread. LOVE it.