Drawing the INSIDE elements of scroll. Where do YOU start?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When drawing the inside elements, do you start at the knob in the center of the scroll and work your way toward the end, or do you start at the end and work your way toward the center? Just curious as to how various engravers begin the process.

scroll_beginning.jpg

axeman11

Dear Leader,

For me, it is the center. Or from wherever allows me to tilt the graver towards me when cutting. Tilting away from me, whether cutting on the inside or outside of a curve brings inconsistent line width. If you could help me understand why, I would appreciate it. Also, I hold the graver with the thumb over the top of the graver. When I HAVE to tilt away, I use my index finger on top of the graver, which seems to help. Weird huh?

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I start from the knob end, even though on most of my designs there isn't really a knob. I start from the larger end anyway! When cutting the backbone, I start at the center and cut to the end.

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
I have always started at the end (begining) of the scroll and work towards the center. Even when drawing the backbone. It just seemed logical to follow the flow and correct your spacing as you draw to the center. Most of my scroll drawing skills were developed thru books & what I read on sites like this and I have never heard of anyone mentioning where you start. Good question Sam and it will be interesting to hear from others.....JohnR

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I start at the end for both inside work and the spine itself although I usually go back to the end to add the knob. Outside work varies with design and area to be filled and degree of background/forground ratio. Fred

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
interesting question. other than perhaps in the rare instance where an intricately intertwined layout requires 'backing out' a tiny part of the design from the center of the scroll, it would never occur to me to draw- or cut- the internal details of a scroll from anywhere but its origin, or what you've labeled the 'end'...

anyone care to comment on the pros & cons of each way?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I start at the end and work in. I find this helpful in controling back ground depth, like others I don't know why it just seemed the way to go.

scott99

sinan

I am practising scrolls for a while and always I started at the end but I don't know why I did always at the end. I never read or no one told me to do like this. Which one is the correct way?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I work from the end and always in the counter clock wise direction,I have alway had a problem cutting the back bone and the inside elements of the scroll in the clock wise direction.When cutting the clock wise scrolls I cut it from the inside out in the counter clock wise direction,:confused:yet.J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors