+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses. I also design from what I'm calling the end of the scroll and go toward the large knob in the center. The reason I asked was because my student and I (Hora from the Cafe) were discussing this and I was telling him that Lynton McKenzie started the layout of his scrolls from what I'm calling the center, and worked his way back. I remember being really surprised when he told me that as it seems backward to me. Obviously it doesn't matter, especially in the case of McKenzie's beautiful scrollwork, but I do my scroll layouts like most of you, which is the opposite of they way Lynton did them.

2. Likes bronc, Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I draw and cut the backbone from the center but when drawing and cutting the inside work I start at the point of origin or what Sam is calling the end. No one ever told me to do it that way it just seemed to be natural.
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers and American Engravers-The 21st Century
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

4. Likes Arnaud Van Tilburgh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In flare cut scrolls, I cut towards the center on the outside cut, and from the center on the inside cut.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

So Hora will have lots of storys when he is back....
    Have a great time together !!!

Post Thanks / Like

It has always been shown to start from the "end" and work toward the center in classes I have taken and in books that I have studied, so that is how I have always worked.

VERY interesting to hear Lynton McKenzie worked from the center out. I have always admired his scroll for the clean classic look of it.
    Peter E.

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

My first post left a lot to be said about the drawing and cutting of scroll. While I tend to work as stated, one must be able to start anywhere along the spiral and draw/cut in either direction to overcome obstacles such as recoil fences, and other non-flat areas. I sometimes find I can fit a spiral to an odd shaped area by starting at the "big" end and work backwards, or even start in the middle, the object being to fit as well as possible to the space at hand. Some of you may remember the guitar tuners I was cutting scroll into. These have 6 upright posts that get into the way of almost every line you want to draw/cut and the scrolls were done in many little pieces in every which direction I could get a tool/scribe to work. In fact some of the lines were actually made with a scribe as it was the only tool I could get to fit. So try it all, learn it all and use it all.
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

9. Likes bronc, Marrinan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that I have any skill mind you. But I'm glad TOS said his last post. If I am just doodling scrolls on blank paper, I start at the end like everyone else. But sometimes trying to fit one into a defined space, I end up maby starting at the other end or in the middle. I just figured experience would overcome that some day.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Lynton McKenzie started the layout of his scrolls from what I'm calling the center, and worked his way back. I remember being really surprised when he told me that as it seems backward to me. Obviously it doesn't matter, especially in the case of McKenzie's beautiful scrollwork, but I do my scroll layouts like most of you, which is the opposite of they way Lynton did them.
    it's obviously due to the reversed Coriolis effect and Lynton being an Aussie...
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

12. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess I am one of the odd balls I start at the center and work toward the end. However, my background is in leather carving so alot of what I do in engraving, started from designing floral carving.

14. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Here goes and this should stir things up a bit.

I do all three.

Now what is all three. I usually cut from the center back to my point of origin as I wind it easier go follow a flow that way. In other words i trust my eye and it's ability to find a natural rhythm.

I also cut from the begining like most of you have said you do.

Many times for the thrd variation, I catually cut from the middle to both ends. This i find important when the roll must touch somethig along the way such as another scroll or border.

So don't ask me why, it just has evolved that way over the years and seems to work for me. At least most of the time.

16. Likes bronc, Marrinan liked this post