Question: Engraving Tool Preferences

Jericho

:thinking: I am starting to think about getting a "true" engraving tool. I have started out with a high quality rotary tool (which against popular belief does not make a total mess of projects) but I see the obvious need for a tool that can get crisp thin cuts on the knives and firearms that I work with. However I am also 16 years old and have a budget to look at. The tool that interests me the most is the Lindsay Airgraver Artisan. It would be very much appreciated if someone could give me either a review of this tool or tell me about more/ better options of about the same price range.:tiphat:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you go back in the forum and do a bit of searching, you'll find many posts that deal with this very issue. if members respond to your request, you will find many pros and cons concerning the "power toys" many of us have come to know and love. where are you located ? there may be a member near you that would let you try the tools they own.

Jericho

Thank you. I am located in Northwest Iowa. I have a mentor that is a forger/engraver that lives a small distance from me that I go to every once in awhile. His name is Ed Lindheart but I don't know if he has a profile here.

axeman11

Jericho

I made my decision by attending FEGA and trying everything out. All the manufacturers were there and this made my decision easy. 16 and a limited budget? Not enough info. You can't go wrong with your pick so far. When you consider regulators, compressor, tooling and the like the price of the units of various manufacturers at the lower end are pretty much a competitive.

Monk was right about there being plenty of opinion on the different systems on this site. Search box is up top. Also consider if you already have a rotary like a foredom, the Magnagraver by Ngraver. This isn't an endorsement of any product, it is just that you don't hear that tool mentioned much in these forums. It is a good unit and one that came to mind when I heard 16 and budget. good luck.

axeman11

If you're already leaning towards the Artisan go ahead and pull the trigger. Find a quiet air solution and you're in business. I hear GMC and California Compressors are good alternatives to the expensive silent ones. With your budget it is very doable. Also you can get a heavier tungsten piston cheap for added versatility. With the two pistons you can do everything you need.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Jericho

I personally use the Lindsay Palm Airgraver

The Lindsay Artisan Airgraver is a very nice choice, However If you could possibly afford it I would recommend you upgrade to the Classic Graver

The Classic has a length/speed, stroke adjustment collar, and The Palm Control can always be added to the classic at a later time (you can not do that to the Aritisan).

The Palm Control is so much easier to use there is no comparison.

Then If you happened to decide that Engraving is not for you, the classic could very easily be sold

Used Lindsay Graver's are very seldom offered for sale, but when they are, they are sold very quickly.

Before you purchase anything I would recommend you try to contact a Lindsay User in your area that would let you visit there shop and try the graver out.

Which ever way you go, I wish you the best of luck pursuing your Engraving Career

Kenneth Crutcher

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
There are so many great tools out there on the market. Best thing is to see if someone lives around you that has these tools and maybe you can try and see how it works. Buy the best tool that you feel you can afford.

Gary

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jericho,

If you start with push graving and/or hammer and chisel, you will learn plenty, and for low cost. I recommend delaying your purchase of air assist until you have some experience under your belt, with that experience you will be more informed if you want to spend bigger bucks.

So many master engravers, who may now include air assist in their tooling, have worked for years by hand. There is a ton of stuff to learn about how gravers work that can be understood by push or hammer and chisel. Try hand push engraving in the softer precious metals, like silver, and less expensive copper behaves similar to silver. When starting, work on small designs that have short cuts, until you have some mastery. You will not regret time spent this way, and by all means move to any of the power assist systems that you like, but at age sixteen, you have time on your side.

Most people who attend an intensive teaching course feel that it is money well spent, and it can be a chance to try power assist before you own a system.

Every good wish in developing your skills !

Rod

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
I like what Rod said.learn by doing push,and,hammer and chisel.save your money.by the time you have enough to buy a system you will be ahead of your game.One other thing.Draw often

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Great advice Rod. I would agree the money would be better spent taking a class from someone proficient in hammer and chisel. Mike Dubber would be a good person to go to. At your age I would consider going to Austria after High School and studying at the school with Martin Strolz. Since they don't use pneumatic tools there you will be ready for training there. The cost is free to attend and they have a low price for staying there.

While learning here I would concentrate a lot on lettering and some jewelery engraving. This way you could even earn the money for further training and tools in the future. I would invest in a good vise to start Make sure to get a heavy one if yolu plan on doing guns. You can save some money by buying a used vise. They really don't wear out.

The other thing to purchase now would be Sams design video Lee Griffiths video and book and also Ron smiths two books. Start drawing and don't forget to draw lettering as well.

Keep us informed about your progress. You can always ask for help here and the Lindsay site as well as my site engraversstudio.com .

Chris

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jericho,

I'm with Rod and Chris on this one. I will add this regarding the school in Austria (HTL Steyr), Martin Strolz (one of the world's top living engravers) told me that to attend that school a foreign student has to be very fluent in German. Martin visits this forum from time to time and perhaps he can add something.

There are four other schools to consider. Leon Mignion in Liege, Belgium, Bottega Cesere Giovanelli in Gardone, Italy, and HTBLVA Ferlach in Ferlach, Austria, and Berufsfachschule Büchsenmacher in Suhl, Germany. All of these schools are state subsidized with no tuition for foreign students.

I have visited at Berufsfachschule Büchsenmacher Suhl and it would be necessary to speak fluent German as the instructors are not fluent in English. The school is in what was East Germany and accordingly there are fewer people there who speak English than in what was West Germany.

I have also visited Bottega Cesere Giovanelli. The head instructor is Dario Cortini who is fluent in English and numerous English speaking students have studied there.

Leon Mignion is an excellent school. I know one American engraver who studied there and got by without speaking French for some time. There are a couple of Leon Mignion instructors who ocassionally visit this forum.

I have not personally visited HTBLVA Ferlach but do know a couple of people who studied there and did not speak German to begin with.

At first blush it might sound like a wild idea to go to a foreign country to study engraving but it would be an excellent experience for a young person and every one of those schools has turned out world class engravers. I wish I had known about this when I was your age.

Good luck,
Roger

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"At first blush it might sound like a wild idea to go to a foreign country to study engraving but it would be an excellent experience for a young person and every one of those schools has turned out world class engravers. I wish I had known about this when I was your age."

I would second this excellent piece of advice from Roger!

I personally had the luxury of studying under the direction of a Master & would definitely recommend that way (as opposed to going it alone) if at all possible.
If I had known about studying engraving abroad I would have jumped at the opportunity when I was your age and... I've given it serious thought recently!!

FYI: I started engraving in 1979 at the age of 17 so I know......you can DO IT!!

Jericho

Thank you all so much for your advice on this matter. I am planning on going to Trinidad State Junior College in Colorado for gunsmithing for 3 years after highschool then I am definitly looking at studying just engraving but I'm not sure where. Out of the options you all have given me it looks like I have some research to do.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jericho,

Kurt Horvath ( http://www.kguns.com/ ) did the gunsmithing course at Trinidad years ago. After that he did the full engraving course at Leon Mignon. His excellent work speaks well for his training. You might consider contacting Kurt for some insight on his experiences.

I should add that Leon Mignon is not just an engraving school, it also has a complete gunsmithing course as does Ferlach and Suhl. At Trinidad you will get more training on bolt action rifles and handguns. At the European schools the focus would be more on over/unders and side by sides.

Latest posts

Sponsors