+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Engraving Tool Preferences

I am starting to think about getting a "true" engraving tool. I have started out with a high quality rotary tool (which against popular belief does not make a total mess of projects) but I see the obvious need for a tool that can get crisp thin cuts on the knives and firearms that I work with. However I am also 16 years old and have a budget to look at. The tool that interests me the most is the Lindsay Airgraver Artisan. It would be very much appreciated if someone could give me either a review of this tool or tell me about more/ better options of about the same price range.

Post Thanks / Like

if you go back in the forum and do a bit of searching, you'll find many posts that deal with this very issue. if members respond to your request, you will find many pros and cons concerning the "power toys" many of us have come to know and love. where are you located ? there may be a member near you that would let you try the tools they own.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I am located in Northwest Iowa. I have a mentor that is a forger/engraver that lives a small distance from me that I go to every once in awhile. His name is Ed Lindheart but I don't know if he has a profile here.

Post Thanks / Like

Jericho

I made my decision by attending FEGA and trying everything out. All the manufacturers were there and this made my decision easy. 16 and a limited budget? Not enough info. You can't go wrong with your pick so far. When you consider regulators, compressor, tooling and the like the price of the units of various manufacturers at the lower end are pretty much a competitive.

Monk was right about there being plenty of opinion on the different systems on this site. Search box is up top. Also consider if you already have a rotary like a foredom, the Magnagraver by Ngraver. This isn't an endorsement of any product, it is just that you don't hear that tool mentioned much in these forums. It is a good unit and one that came to mind when I heard 16 and budget. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted by author
    Last edited by axeman11; 09-19-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Mistake

Post Thanks / Like

My budget for hopefully everything that has to do with the tool is under 1,000 if that helps matters

Post Thanks / Like

Yo prefiero cincel y martillo (Chisel and Hammer )
    STEEL ENGRAVER

Steel, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Ivory, Stone,
    engraving classes and private lessons
    Technique: Chisel and Hammer
    México
    grabados_acero@yahoo.com.mx

8. Likes bram ramon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're already leaning towards the Artisan go ahead and pull the trigger. Find a quiet air solution and you're in business. I hear GMC and California Compressors are good alternatives to the expensive silent ones. With your budget it is very doable. Also you can get a heavier tungsten piston cheap for added versatility. With the two pistons you can do everything you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engraving Tool Preferences

Jericho

I personally use the Lindsay Palm Airgraver

The Lindsay Artisan Airgraver is a very nice choice, However If you could possibly afford it I would recommend you upgrade to the Classic Graver

The Classic has a length/speed, stroke adjustment collar, and The Palm Control can always be added to the classic at a later time (you can not do that to the Aritisan).

The Palm Control is so much easier to use there is no comparison.

Then If you happened to decide that Engraving is not for you, the classic could very easily be sold

Used Lindsay Graver's are very seldom offered for sale, but when they are, they are sold very quickly.

Before you purchase anything I would recommend you try to contact a Lindsay User in your area that would let you visit there shop and try the graver out.

Which ever way you go, I wish you the best of luck pursuing your Engraving Career

Kenneth Crutcher

11. Likes Jericho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think trying them all is a good Idea but your budget is saying EnSet.Closest thing to 1000.00 your going to find new.

13. Likes Arnaud Van Tilburgh liked this post