Finished tiger

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Well I finished playing with my tiger as it realy the first full bulino I have done I am not that unhappy with it but have also leant a lot from doing it so here it is warts and all dont mind if you are brutal with comment thats the way I like it only help to get better

sinan

It is nice bulino. I think so if you use thinner lines by more magnification will be better.
Bulino close up photos are best tutorial for me but it is difficult to find them. Masters of bulino engarvers don't show closeup photos of their works. I don't know why? Maybe they have no time for it. Recently, I have found some close up photos in http://www.nramuseum.com search the Robert E. Petersen Gallery through this web site and you will find bulino photos. Get the image magnification line to the end of + and download them after get closer on photoshop etc and see how did they cut for bulino scenery. Search gun selling sites in internet, they publish close up photos of the guns and possible to find bulino engraved guns. Pencil drawing tutorials are good source for bulino. They are almost same to bulino, you are using graver instead of pencil for bulino. I have never seen any bulino in real only photos and bulino close ups and pencil drawing tutorials in internet helped me. There are many pencil drawing tutorials in internet. Adapt pencil drawing tutorials to bulino engraving.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rayf
My first impression was that the tiger is floating in air. You have a darker horizontal line and shape just under him with the paws overlapping. The contrast of the mountains and the ground around the animal are the same thus you see the darker area and the floating tiger. Your grass and bamboo look good and I like the way you framed the animal with these. Textures and contrast are all important. Now if you look at your mountains and sky they are the same. The only thing separating the two is a single line ridge line that you engraved. They should at least be of a different gray value to separate them.
I do most of my bulino/banknote engraving with an optivisor as I can visualize the whole affect better than with a microscope. Like Sinan said about when you see all of this under high magnification it looks totally different and perhaps bizarre. As he also said, pencil drawing is important and can be adapted ot line ink or engraving techniques. What is important is how the eye sees it at natural magnification. Work on your values, textures and overall composition and you will see a world of difference. You are off to a good start.

Marty

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
ray,Take some class's in art join an art club,get with teacher who can guide in animal anatomy this is the advise I give to students,it will pay off.Marty mentioned floating,what drives me crazy is an animals head floating inmid air with out a boarder around it. J.J.

Last edited: