Some attempts at steel engraving/sculpting

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Hi all! Here's some of my attempts at steel engraving/sculpting. I try to learn & practice in all different kind of metals. After my first aluminium motorcycle part (the H-D derby cover), I recently attacked one of my old 1,5 Kg. hammers to try and carve some relief in steel. Again I used all my hammer & chisel flat gravers to remove the background, for cutting the lines & for backgr. stippling I use my Gravermax G8. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to scroll drawing! Urgently have to work on transferring designs too:eek:. Untill now I just draw everything on the white surface. The biggest difficulty for me is working on such a small scale (with only an Optivisor #4 & #5), compared to my usual drawing & stone sculpting. The horseshoe is my first (steel) lettering exercise. Any critique welcome;)

Attachments

• Hammer steel sculpting 2 (blackened background).jpg
    Hammer steel sculpting 2 (blackened background).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 381
  • Hammer steel sculpting (blackened background).jpg
    Hammer steel sculpting (blackened background).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Good Luck (horseshoe engraving progress).jpg
    Good Luck (horseshoe engraving progress).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 383
  • Hammer & horseshoe progress.jpg
    Hammer & horseshoe progress.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 384

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow that´s some deep sculpting Paul, I´ll bet he is less then 1,5 kg now.....it looks really good, also the horse shoe is nice but i would have done the lettering different.
When you hang the horse shoe on the wall it schould catch the good luck that´s falling ( like in a bucket)( that´s what they told me) but then the lettering is upside down.
But a nice job you did.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the shoe to hang like that because that is how you view a shoe when you pick up a horses foot. Since a horseshoe is good luck you want it to hang with the heels pointing down so that the luck will fall upon you.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Hey it's a Kerkhaert SSP, I use those same shoes, but for actual shoeing. I have heard, hang it heels up so the luck does not fall out of the shoe. But on all the shoe display boards I have ever seen, they are mounted heel down, and they look better that way, in my opinion. Personally I feel a shoe is lucky if the horse that I am nailing it to, is not trying to kick my head off :)

Sponsors