+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some attempts at steel engraving/sculpting

Hi all! Here's some of my attempts at steel engraving/sculpting. I try to learn & practice in all different kind of metals. After my first aluminium motorcycle part (the H-D derby cover), I recently attacked one of my old 1,5 Kg. hammers to try and carve some relief in steel. Again I used all my hammer & chisel flat gravers to remove the background, for cutting the lines & for backgr. stippling I use my Gravermax G8. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to scroll drawing! Urgently have to work on transferring designs too. Untill now I just draw everything on the white surface. The biggest difficulty for me is working on such a small scale (with only an Optivisor #4 & #5), compared to my usual drawing & stone sculpting. The horseshoe is my first (steel) lettering exercise. Any critique welcome

2. Likes jb1983, Paul Russell, KCSteve, scott99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thatīs some deep sculpting Paul, Iīll bet he is less then 1,5 kg now.....it looks really good, also the horse shoe is nice but i would have done the lettering different.
    When you hang the horse shoe on the wall it schould catch the good luck thatīs falling ( like in a bucket)( thatīs what they told me) but then the lettering is upside down.
    But a nice job you did.

4. Likes Paulie, CJ Allan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously a front shoe. Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

best lookin shoe i ever saw !

7. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for share, nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the shoe to hang like that because that is how you view a shoe when you pick up a horses foot. Since a horseshoe is good luck you want it to hang with the heels pointing down so that the luck will fall upon you.

10. Likes bronc, Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey it's a Kerkhaert SSP, I use those same shoes, but for actual shoeing. I have heard, hang it heels up so the luck does not fall out of the shoe. But on all the shoe display boards I have ever seen, they are mounted heel down, and they look better that way, in my opinion. Personally I feel a shoe is lucky if the horse that I am nailing it to, is not trying to kick my head off :-)

12. Likes bronc, Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Paulie!

Stewart