Lincoln Silver Dollar carving

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Lincoln Silver Dollar carving and cameo

IMG_5307 (640x612).jpg Here's a carving for your viewing. The depth is extreme, using about 90% of available material thickness at the deepest point. I have done Lincoln before, including this view, but the silver dollar is a first for me in this case. Tools used were chisels, rotary, gravers, punches and stones. As my eyes are not what they used to be, I use the optivisors less and the scope more. One more attached, a cameo. IMG_0158 (640x507) (640x507).jpg New photo of a bridge for gravers.

Attachments

• LS eight (504x378).jpg
    LS eight (504x378).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

mrthe

Like ever a great carving! Is a pleasure see your works, thank you for share!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Holy crow Steve! These are magnificent! Some of your best work ever. As usual, they look as if they were minted with these designs. We've missed your postings, so don't be such a stranger!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Steve, you are a national treasure. Seriously, fantastic and amazing work.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
More amazingness than I see at my own bench, thanks for sharing. By the way, I still have room in the condo for the FUN show if you're interested.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You deserve the compliments Steve. Those are masterful works. Can you tell us the approximate time you have in the Lincoln?

Thanks,
Roger

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
Lincoln took almost five days. That may seem like a long time , I don't know. I have nothing to compare it to with other carvers. The photo does not show the true depth, believe me, it is deep! The hardest part for me was to engrave in the deep areas without scratching up the pillars. I used a bridge quite a bit for the gravers as well as burs with a rotary tool.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Somehow the word carving used in conjunction with your work just doesn't seem right. :tiphat:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
EXTRAORDINARY in describing those is an understatement! Absolutely beautiful carving. It is a pleasure to see your work Steve.

Thanks for posting them.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I do use a bead blaster with broken down glass bead. The finish on the cameo is due to this. Often I highlight after the blast. If you want finer yet, try a soda blast.

axeman11

Thanks for sharing Steve. Also thanks for the answer and pointer on bead blaster. Another question if you don't mind..... What did you mean by "using a bridge" with the graves and rotary?

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Axeman,
I inserted another photo with the other two at the beginning of the thread. It shows a bridge and how I use it. It is basically a ring ( sometimes with a handle ) with grooves in it to support and slide the graver in. It acts like a fulcrum, and is really good for steep angles. I did not use this with the rotary tool, sorry I wasn't specific.

Latest posts

Sponsors