+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about New Hermes "Engravograph"

I recently acquired a New Hermes "Engravograph". It seems like a motorized version of a Pantograph that can be used for design transfers, etc.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the usefulness of this machine that desires to share an opinion?

It is like this one I saw on ebay, but there are only a few of the brass plates with letters on them:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180944973763...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks
    Peter E.

Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter,

What do you need to know? We have 4 machines, usually used to transfer designs to be filigreed, sometimes used to lay out for hand engraving - rarely used for their original purpose...

Brian

P.S. There are actually a couple (without motor) out in the back room for sale. They belonged to a jeweler who retired. I think the ad is still here in the BUY/SELL. I'll go look it up and bring it to the top
    Last edited by Brian Marshall; 08-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a New Hermes XTL Floor model and use it constantly. The small table top models are very limited to small, flat plates and such. The larger floor models allow you to put complete barreled rifle actions in them.
    I can chuck up a Ruger No. 1 or a Winchester Model 94 receiver, tape down a nice picture of a white tail, adjust the pantograph ratios to fit, perfectly trace the anatomy of the animal right onto the gun in about 10 minutes.
    I can go from picking out a picture to actually engraving it in on the gun in less than 20 minutes.
    No drawing, no scanning, no reducing by trail and error to make it fit, no printing on film, no transferring---No problem!
    It's great for lettering too. Just pantograph the lettering onto the metal, head to the work bench and engrave it.
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

4. Likes John P. Anderson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's a floor plate laid out with my pantograph.
    The entire design, including the scrolls, was laid out in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by BrianPowley; 08-22-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

6. Likes Titian, scott99, Cloudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

What can't you figure out? What do you want to be able to do?

B.

Post Thanks / Like

What I would like to know is if the motorized version can also be used to transfer and scale designs as Brian has shown with his pantograph.

Thanks.
    Peter E.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really but you can usually buy a diamond drag head for it. It would be an Ebay item.

Post Thanks / Like

You can, but I am a smith, for me it was relatively easy. Just took a cutter blank and soldered a diamond scribe tip from another brand of machine to the end of it. (Made a quick jig for the soldering)

You'll also need to lock the rotation. I beleive we ran a pin through the fingernut (is that a word?) at the top.

There will be slightly more play than you might get with the holder specifically designed for diamond drag, not much though.

If you are really handy you could even make a holder from scratch.

B.

Post Thanks / Like

a very valuable ( to me ) is the fact that i can "cut" my own master templates for mine. it allows quick layout on lighters and such which can then be engraved by hand. very handy to lay out scroll spines on stuff. then fill in details as you want. a nice feature is the ability to downsize from an original template from 1/2 to 1/7 the original size in 21 increments. shown are just 2 that i made. the one is a complete sed of diamond monogram. the other a design i stole from ldn, it is very large, about 6" in height. can be used on lighters, buckles, whatever. i began cutting my own many years ago and now have several hundred designs from which to choose.
    Attached Images

13. Likes Cloudy, BrianPowley liked this post