Engraver's Transferring Device - The Buffalo Pad

Joe Jacob

A buffalo pad has come up on ebay.
Item number: 140820685431
It may be of interest.
BTW does anyone have the formula for the pad?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe the pad is made out of printers gelatin.

Here are the instructions. I posted them in another thread earlier.

From Previous Post on this Thread
"Rub powered whiting into the cuts of the engraving to be copied, and wipe off the surplus. Press the engraving down on the transfer pad, remove it, and you will have the form of the engraving where the whiting was deposited. Daub a film of tallow on the piece that is to be engraved, and press it down on the transfer pad, over the whiting design. This will imprint the design on the piece. Several impressions can be made from each whiting transfer."

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was teaching an engraving class at the School of Horology and a student brought a buffalo pad in for me to see. It seemed to work quite well.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ok, so I bought this old Buffalo Pad on ebay as I've always wanted one, if for nothing other than curiosity. Now I need to figure out how to install a gelatin pad as the original is gone.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, would be nice you post a pic of it, i got no clue what it might be, ... as google images shows nothing i can relate to engraving ... good luck with the pad
thanks in advance

mrthe

Sam please when you have it if you can post some photo of the process will be great,because i'm very curious about this tool, and i don't know if is for my little english but i can't understand very well how it work hehe

Joe Jacob

Sam, I was wondering who snapped it up.
There appears to be various formulas for the pad, but I haven't tried making it myself.

Sponsors