+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Mario thanks for the picture, that does look like a pretty good way to hook the pin and pull it rather than pushing which tends to mushroom the end being pushed. Typically on hinge pins I take a ball burr and drill out part of one end and then push it out out till I can get a draw tongs on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Go on James, give it a go............you know you want to

Who dares wins!!

Cheers
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I just did one but was able to do it without removing the pin. I just cut it from multiple angles like I was doing inside a ring. I used thermolock to make a fixture to hold it. Worked out pretty good.

It took twice a long as it should have, but I didn't want to fool with disassembly and putting it back together.
    Bert Edmonston IV
    Jewelry, knife and firearms engraving
    Pueblo, CO
    240-367-6082

Bertram Custom Jewelers and Engraving

Post Thanks / Like

I offered to do one name each instead of the four requested. This would be with the lids in place. I've pulled many hinge pins in the past with mixed results on old stuff in conjunction with repairs that needed to be done. Antiques are a bit like old cars where everything is seized and rusted tight, things can break on dissassembly. I'll be happy to do it if the customer gives the green light.

Post Thanks / Like

That illustration is the way my watchmaker books show and I've run into many that were tapered and go in one way only. Take a graver and pull it out very very gently to void a slip. I have a graver made out of a big sewing needle that I use for that job.
    "Politics is like an andouillette: It should smell a little of sh-t but not too much."

Post Thanks / Like

Below is a copy of what I posted before, on 4/13/11.

Sounds like you have a hinged case. If so: The outside cover or covers if it is a hunter case, There are gold or silver plugs on each end of the hinge. Then there is tapered pin going through the hinge.
    Take a very sharp graver, dig a little into the plug, and then push out the plug. Should not leave much of a mark on the plug. Save and reuse plugs.
    Very important to push the tapered hinge pin out from the correct side. To find out which is the fat end, hold the case with the crown up, and the cover you want to remove facing you. The fat end of the pin is on your left. So drive out from right side.
    Sometimes the pin comes out without to much trouble. Sometimes very troublesome.
    Helpful to put penetrating oil on the hinge and give it time to soak in. I use Hoppes Gun Bore Cleaner. The only metal it will harm is lead. But there should not be any lead solder on the case.
    The pin used to push out the hinge pin should be blunt with a diameter close to the inside diameter of the hinge hole. Tap with hammer.
    I don't find this a easy Job. Hopefully others have tips on how to do this.
    Also, the traditional way to engrave the outside of a inner dust cover is with the crown on your right.

In addition,
    using the brass bushing wire, close fit to the drive pin, and with the length made so only 2mm of the drive pin protrudes above the bushing wire. Then hammer until the dive pin is flush with the bushing wire. Then use another piece of bushing wire 2mm shorter than the first, and hammer again.

Then there will be enough of the hinge pin sticking out to pull it the rest of the way with pliers.

Never had a problem with the hinge tubes getting damaged by the solvent, or breaking loose from the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost one year later and I have benefited from your diagram and explanation about removing pins from pocket watch covers. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Ment to say thanks to Mario Sarto for his diagram and explanation of how to remove pins from pocket watch covers.