Something a bit different

Andrew Biggs

Here's something a bit different.

My old business card didn't have my web address so it was time to update it. Just one of the 499 jobs to do on the list.

So I went to http://www.istockphoto.com/cloudniners and downloaded some clip art.

Cloudniners just happens to be none other than our own benevolent dictators folio on the istock.com web site.

So with a bit of manipulation this is what I came up with…….…then ordered them through a web based printing service, which I didn't realise at the time is based in Australia, and a few days later they are delivered to my door.

A truly international collaboration and all from the comfort of my computer chair………..amazing :)

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Business card.jpg
    Business card.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 337

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, the card looks great but, I would have expected you to use one of your Mauri inspired designs. I've been thinking of designing some cards myself. So maybe this will give me the kick in the pants to get started.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Dimov,

Great Idea and a good marketing tool. Andrew your card looks great, but I agree with Doc why wouldn't you draw and use your own design? It wouldn't have to be your Miori design necessarily but your own ornimental design would be nice.

Chris

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andrew: I applaud your excellent taste in graphics! :cool:

Here's my card. Kind of simple but beautifully printed in letterpress.

business_card.jpg

mrthe

Andrew your business card look great!
i have to download some files too from Mr .cloudniners, i'm planning build my new website and i want a new logo with scrolls ,i have try to make some but draw it in Illustrator is too difficult for me and the Sam's portfolio is great! i don't know how is possible draw in this beautyfull way and have thousand and thousand designs to chose hehe
Sam ..... simple, elegant and perfect card, i love your ambigram logo!

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good but Firearms Engravers Guild of America should be capitalized.

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for that

Mark and Chris………….I come from a commercial art background so using standard clipart is just second nature to me for this type of project. It's also a lot quicker. If I had gone down the road of my own artwork it would still be sitting in the "to do" pile for another 2 years. From start to finish this took me 2 hours. I actually sat down at the computer to start one thing, got sidetracked, and ended up doing the business cards. :)

I remember the bad old days where clip art was in fact just that…………you had to clip it out of a printed set of sheets with the artwork in various sizes and paste it all up. Computer clip art has been a real boon for the graphic art community. You get exactly what you want without having to buy whole collections.

Mark………….I do other work as well, not just Maori designs. The card is really only to draw people to the web site with examples of my work. Some of my work I don't show on my web site or the forum at the customers request.

Mrthe………….For graphic scroll work you can't go past Sam's cloudniners designs. They are the best there is. Well worth every penny.

McAhron……….That was my attempt at giving it a more modern graphic look :)

Evengi…………..The bookmarks are a great idea and look fantastic!!

Cheers
Andrew

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
If the idea is to draw people to your site to see your work then why not show your work on your card? Not that Sam's work isn't fantastic but I just don't un understand why an artist would use another s work to attract customers. If someone was a painter would they show someone elses paintings to get people to go to their site?

If Evengi had istock clip art on his bookmarks and someone went to his site and saw that his work was completely different than what was on his book mark seems it would confuse the customer.

This is of course my opinion and no one has to agree with me. For me something like a business card which is the first contact for many customers is too important to just get it done.

Chris

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

It's just one of those things and perhaps you are reading way more into it than it warrants. I really don't think that my clients and potential clients are that easily confused. Perhaps if your background was more in the graphic arts field your understanding would be better.

The card is too small to show my work properly. The scrolls on the card are nothing more or less than simple commercial clip art background. It just happens that we know who created that clip art. Under normal circumstances we wouldn't. That is just normal graphic art procedure and why stock clip art/photography sites exist in the first place and have done so for many years.

I'm not showing Sam's engraving work so there is a big difference between his actual engraving work and the commercial clip art he produces.

There is also the design factor. Because what works on a watch doesn't necessarily translate well to a business card for design purposes. They are two completely mediums. In fact people have written volumes on this very subject.

Cheers
Andrew

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice examples you've shown! I like them all.

...and it's good to read about the different points of view on this topic. Still have the "problem", also! I mean, to find something that represents me as the man who i am (not sure if i know it by myself ;) )

@Sam - Letterpress looks very significant. I think, this mediates quality to the audience by surface feel. I have to look how this is done, don't know it so far.

Andrew, I have tried to view your homepage - only got an 404. Are you working on it (modern people say "Relaunch")?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree having a nice business card is most important.
Before moving to my recent location, I had my business cards printed in Italy.
They were printed on a now what is called an old fashion printing device, and as I like them still I had to find a printer who still had that kind of printing machine.
How it works, a printing cliché is made from aluminium or copper, having the negative space removed (all but what will be printed). Just like a stamp. Then the ink is put on the positive space and one card is printed at the time.
If done right, not too much pressure is allowed, but as I like it when the lettering has a bit down relief, they put the pressure a bit higher. That way you could even print without ink.

Now another important one about a business card is the paper. Mine has some lined texture. I had to buy a whole roll of that paper for my second card, but I was happy I could find the same paper I started 25 years ago. So I still have 40 kilo of that paper stored in a dry place.

Nowadays, most business cards are printed with a computer printer, we all can print our own cards. But nothing compared with copper engraving printings.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
business_card_thickness.jpg

Here's the thickness of my card. The paper is by Crane and isn't cheap, and when combined with classic letterpress printing, it makes for a very nice business card.

The company that printed my cards is Studio On Fire.

I did the layout in Illustrator and sent them the file.

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh, good! If we are showing our cards, here's mine! Layout by Joe Diaz (Diaz Sign Art), the Corel Draw designer of 2011: cat kennedy card.jpg :clapping:

Andrew Biggs

Andrew, I have tried to view your homepage - only got an 404. Are you working on it (modern people say "Relaunch")?

Hi Mario

Yes, you are correct. ................I went to update my web site and all the settings have changed that used to be automatic and I managed to wipe out my web site from the internet.

Hopefully it'll be fixed today............The joys of getting a new computer and reloading software :)

Cheers
Andrew

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
My turn

The first one is a couple years old, used my engraving for the background. I thought that showing by twisted wire look inlay would bring comments like " How did you do that?"
So far none, nothing, notta on that.
The lettering is hard to read because of the background causing contrast problems. So on the issue of using an example of "your" engraving over a good graphic design I would say the graphic wins. cards 001.jpg
On the second one is a graphic one that I am working on, the problem here is using a gradient to lighten the design for the lettering contrast. Planning on moving the address information to the back side and making the name horizontal on the front.
The font used on the name on the second one is one I made to use on my computer. Some day when I have time, I will finish many projects!:pencil: Bcard.jpg
Note to Andrew and Sam, I like your work!

PS you might have to "Ctrl -" to fit the over sized pictures to your screen

Last edited:

Sponsors