removing existing engraving

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a job to engrave initials into a brass patch box cover, but... I need to remove the existing lettering and smooth everything out before I can do my work.:(
Any suggestions of how to do this would be helpful! Good news is that the letters are not deeply done.
Thanks!

mrthe

Can you post a pic of the object? Maybe in this way will be more easy give some advice,i had erase some olds monograms in gold pendants simply using litlle sand paper discs mounted ina mandrel (around. 1 cm diameter) in my jeweler micromotor, and after polish it ,but i don' t know if can be helpfull for your piece before see it ;)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Cloud,Like mrthe said need a good picture to see how deep the engraving is.J.J.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Cloudy
I assume it's a brass patch box? If the cuts are real light, I'd probably use small jewelers files to remove most of it then scrape and burnish then try to match the existing finish. A picture is would help. Is it an old piece or new?
Mark

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One thing I have done before is to punch the metal down from the back and then refinish it from the front.You are just displacing the metal so you have more to work with when you go to filing and sanding ect....

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
ive used a soft steel punch with the tip textured with 600 grit diamond lap. (using in gravermach handpieces) clean the old cuts out VERY well. dirt trapped in the cuts will leave dark lines later that wont go away. then do little circles like you were stippling the background. pushing the metal back into the cuts. follow this up with a burnisher in criss-crossing pattern. blend everything in with 600 or finer sand paper and away you go. put something solid on the inside to support the lid while you are working on it. this will keep you from bending the he lid.

hope this helps

monk

Staff member
i've done this a few times draw an oval, circle, or other appropriate shape around the unwanted engraving. then do very fine wriggling in the shaped panel.when you feel it's time, you can then burnish the entire panel. this does contrast against the original finish, but may be ok to do depending on the job at hand.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job cleaning it up.
What am I looking at? Patch box cover?
Looks like a knocker, or a portal?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What am I looking at? Patch box cover?
It's a capbox from either an Investarms Hawken or Lyman Great Plains rifle (same gun). It's thick enough to be a door knocker. Cloudy could have filed half of it away and it would still be too thick.

Recent discussions about engraving cast material applies. I think it is silicon bronze and tends to be chippy and ragged.

monk

Staff member
that was diamond drag engraving. no metal is actually removed. on a much thinner piece, burnish both sides of each line toward its' center. the diamond moves metal upward and outward from the line center by burnishing the metal back towards the center, you are actually lowering the surface profile of the design. this takes way more time, but in the long run, you'll have less actual metal to remove and less chance of scarring the surface.