+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default removing existing engraving

I have a job to engrave initials into a brass patch box cover, but... I need to remove the existing lettering and smooth everything out before I can do my work.
    Any suggestions of how to do this would be helpful! Good news is that the letters are not deeply done.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can you post a pic of the object? Maybe in this way will be more easy give some advice,i had erase some olds monograms in gold pendants simply using litlle sand paper discs mounted ina mandrel (around. 1 cm diameter) in my jeweler micromotor, and after polish it ,but i don' t know if can be helpfull for your piece before see it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cloud,Like mrthe said need a good picture to see how deep the engraving is.J.J.
    JJ Roberts
    School of Artistic Engraving
    Manassas, VA
    www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver
    www.jjrobertsengraver.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cloudy
    I assume it's a brass patch box? If the cuts are real light, I'd probably use small jewelers files to remove most of it then scrape and burnish then try to match the existing finish. A picture is would help. Is it an old piece or new?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have done before is to punch the metal down from the back and then refinish it from the front.You are just displacing the metal so you have more to work with when you go to filing and sanding ect....

6. Likes JJ Roberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ive used a soft steel punch with the tip textured with 600 grit diamond lap. (using in gravermach handpieces) clean the old cuts out VERY well. dirt trapped in the cuts will leave dark lines later that wont go away. then do little circles like you were stippling the background. pushing the metal back into the cuts. follow this up with a burnisher in criss-crossing pattern. blend everything in with 600 or finer sand paper and away you go. put something solid on the inside to support the lid while you are working on it. this will keep you from bending the he lid.

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

i've done this a few times draw an oval, circle, or other appropriate shape around the unwanted engraving. then do very fine wriggling in the shaped panel.when you feel it's time, you can then burnish the entire panel. this does contrast against the original finish, but may be ok to do depending on the job at hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

patch box 001.jpgpatch box 002.jpgpatch box 004.jpg
    Here are the before and after shots. Your various advises worked a treat! Many thanks!

10. Likes CJ Allan, Titian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine job Cloudy, those cast pieces have plenty of material one can remove, now we wait to see what you do to finish it, lol.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job cleaning it up.
    What am I looking at? Patch box cover?
    Looks like a knocker, or a portal?