Sculpted Engraving Using the Enset

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Here are some pictures of some Sculpted or Bas Relief Engraving using the Enset. There is also a video showing the tool and how it works for this style of engraving

2012-08-04 23-46-03.756.jpg 2012-08-04 23-46-25.546.jpg 2012-08-04 23-48-45.417.jpg 2012-08-04 23-47-59.658.jpg

[video=youtube;QhpK4Yi22uE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhpK4Yi22uE&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Nice.

What type of metal is being used for this demo?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work Chris. You seem to master any style of engraving that comes forth. I'm fortunate to have had you for an instructor at GRS and in your home studio.
Thanks so much.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
very nice! i wish relief-sculpting were more popular with collectors because i love doing it...

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr DeCamilis,
Nice sculpture.
I notice that the planes of your cuts are mostly convex. Couple exceptions in the sweep of a leaf.
I'm wondering if you've experienced ported carving in a deeply dished area? And if the poet works against you , in that case.
I'm asking, because it is my experience. But i'v always been on the fly, so didn't stop to experiment. (just switched to draw gravers)scared of diving points, on near finnished work.

I feel like I've muddled my question So. Rephrase
Have you found, carving on a concave surface, some sort of threshold where your enset, or powered graving in general, is untenable? Example: I know if I bent my graver tip ninty, I wouldn't get any power.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Chujybear,

The reason for the mostly convex form of my leaves is simply a matter of preference. I don't like large convex areas in leaf structures. There is nothing wrong with it. It's just a matter of design preference for me.

I am still a little confused by your question. If i am understanding you correctly. Are you asking about engraving down inside of a bowl shape? Or are you referring to cutting down and scooping back out? With either question the answer would be the same. There isn't any loss of power. If you can show me a picture or drawing of what you mean for sure. I will make a short video to show the tool doing as you are asking. If what you are asking is a problem I will tell you that as well.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsors