Buffalo Nickel Question

Hi All,

What nickels should a person buy to put back for that day when you decide to try carving a hobo nickel?

I may try that someday, I'm sure these coins have different value from an engraving standpoint versus a coin collecting standpoint.

Any pointers if I went and looked on Ebay?

Thanks!

Matt

Hmm, maybe a more specific question then.

I'm assuming high quality coins would not be a good choice. I'm not a coin collector so I would assume that you want a complete date, with a reasonable amount of wear since you will be changing the coin anyway.

Does that seem reasonable or am I making too much of this?

Thanks,

Matt

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
For Hobo Nickels of quality, having the date and 'Liberty' readable is a requirement. I bought a package of buffalos off of ebay, 30-40 for $10 or so. They were unsorted, and most are pretty worn. Those make great practice pieces. The few that have really legible dates are reserved for serious hobos. Haven't done them yet, but I'm ready.
One thing that I think, and it's just me...if there is a significant event that you are carving into a nickel, and it happened during the dates the nickel was minted, try to pick the appropriate year!

mrthe

for practice yo can use no date or everythyng coin that you want.
If you want sell your carvings search for full dates rolls in ebay, the valuable things are four, the year and the mint,the full date readble, the full word "liberty" and the full Horn in the buffalo.
All the way in the end the most important like ever is your hand , the idea and what and how you will carve in the nickel, i have see modern hobos carved in very goods 1913's nickels with a regular design selled for less than a 1937 's bad quality nickels, with a very good work in it .

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I started with clear date buffalo nickels from a local coin dealer for 50-cents each. High-end coin carvings are often done on coins worth $20-$30 ea, but I wouldn't worry about that until you're able to produce super high quality carvings.

tat2graver

Answered my questions to the 'T'. Bought an $8.00 roll of 'no dates', and that should keep me busy for a bit with two sides to practice on. Anyone notice a difference between the hardness of a Buffalo v.s. a Jefferson nickel?

Latest posts

Sponsors