A fixed blade i made>

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I need to work on my drawing, cleanliness, knife making, soldering.....geezz! I dont have time to post! just kidding it is nice for this to just be a hobby these days. its great to be doing somthing. Next trip to the rig im takein Sams scroll video with me so Ill work on my drawing on there time:biggrin:
bigknife2.jpg bigknife3.jpg

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Its a pretty neat gig, I got on the drill ship in singapore in febuary of 2011 and did 28 days on 28 off untill it got to the gulf. Now it 21 days on 21 off. I had to git my 6g pipe welding cert. The idea was I can go there and "make a living" then come home and make things only now I dont have to sell my goods to "keep the lights on" so to speak. I hope to hone my fabrication and engraving skills over the next 5 to 8 years. It is my dream to buy a beach house in some tourist trap location and retire to a small retail store making/engraving goods to sell local and ship mailorder at that time. It is the first time I had had a job other than making bits and spurs since about 1995. The problem with the business i had built is that the price point my clientel (dealers) had functioned at did not allow me to put much time on each peice. It bothered my because i wanted to do better work but the fiancial staying power just wasnt there. Anywhoo heres a picture of the little boat I weld on.
coffespot.jpg the rig.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff, I admire your ethics. When I was trying to do silver work back in the late 70's and early 80"s prices were so low that I gave away my work to appreciative people rather than sell at prices offered. I was working an outside gig anyway-Fred

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
What steel did you use for the blade? And what handle material? Always fun to see other knifemakers here.

I like the engraving, well done, makes me want to practise more :)

Good knife, but I personally think this knife has a bit angular look to it, which is not my cup of tea. And the finish on the blade between the finger guard and edge looks like it could use some more work.

Any pictures of the sheath?
//DQ

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks bronc, hopefully my hitches will fall where I can come to the next confrence. Looking forward to submitting a peice to get juried. Jormungander; the blade is 440c stainless, the handle material is california buckeye, bolisters are nickle silver. I learned a lot on this one, building knives isnt my thing but Id like to git good at it> I think Im gonna need some different equipment. I am however discouraged I put it on ebay and not much intrest.......perhaps I priced it to high!?

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
that is what they call a hollow grind blade, i dont have the fixture for that in my shop luckily in about 10 miles from texas knife supply!! It can be done by hand on a sander but i dont think i have that skill yet :( . the fixture only cost $400 but It not a big enough part of my gig yet to justify. What I really want to make are "gentleman folders" with a cowboy flair. There is a great knife maker near me named Rendon Griffin that I hope to learn some from but I havent made it over to his shop.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
new builds in process

Heres a couple of blades that im tinkering with, a folder and a small fixed blade, for now I just getem close and git help before they temper them for me. I hope to git to where I do everything here, oven and all but gotta crawl before I walk. Then someday I'll run with the big dogs:cool: At least that what the brochure said!:confused:

Attachments

• inprocessknives.jpg
    inprocessknives.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 42