Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a Great interview. I wish i was able to articulate my thoughts as well.
    Amen Ron and thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Keep on posting. Good interview. Glad to hear that you're going scratch something again. How rusty did you get?
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Now see! Thats what I get for shooting my mouth off. You guys are making me cry.............but it is joy! It is a pleasure to be with you. Thank you.

Lee, your drive and passion was obvious to me, and you were going to get there on your own. I didn't do much, you already had the spark. I might have fanned it a little bitty bit. And let me remind you. I am among some of the greatest artist in the field, but it is the students and public that will make engraving roar. Educat, educate, educate..........and you do beautiful defacing of steel.

Steve, you don't have to articulate your thoughts, just act them out, and God will make a poet out of you.

Roger, I didn't get out of it altogether, and I had a little bump in the road I had to get over. I lost my thumb a couple years ago although that wasn't the real reason I wasn't engraving much. I was on a bad burnout trip I couldn't shake. Then I lost my thumb, and in a silly sort of way it helped to challenge my ego. I didn't want to think I was through by force. If I am going to quit, it will be under my own power...........Some people call me stubborn.......Who me??? I always contend that that is what makes a man stick to his guns, and it is determination, not stubborness Ha Ha Ha.............If you look at the little miniature engraving block picture, that is the first significant thing I have done recently in my sans thumb era. The 1866 replica was one of the pieces I practiced on to come back, along with any other thing I could find to engrave. I did the miniature just before the little block to see if I could handle the tiny stuff. It was almost like starting over, but getting my head back on straight and getting the drive and endurance, that is another matter.......Getting lazy in my old age, but to answer your question briefly, I surprsed myself and aren't doing too bad. I don't think you ever lose your touch after you finally gain it, but the important thing is My passion lives through you guys, and sharing. We all understand each other do we not? It is hard to stop a force like that.

Thanks all of you guys for your encouragement and Jesus was right again as usual. Give out a little encouragement and it comes back to you seven fold. Thanks so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    It brings tears to my eyes... Don't stop... Your humour drivers us...
    Howbout Left hand???
    I'll try it tomorrow when I get to the shop...
    At my age my right side may stop and what then...
    I can't stop...
    Thank you for sharing with us...
    JL Seymour
    Thanks
    Last edited by jlseymour; 07-02-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you! Mr. Smith

A wonderful interview! For those of us struggling to learn this craft out here in the wilds of West Texas, thank you, thank you for all you do. Critique and encouragement from Ron Smith is more than golden - it is priceless. Thanks Sam, again, for bringing us the forum! Scratch on!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great interview. We are so happy to have you here and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Ron. Thank-you for the great and inspiring interview, with your books and helpful suggestions, you have been a real help, Your sharing and time spent in posting is very appreciated, I never miss reading one..

Sincere best wishes.
    Chris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ron,
    Wonderful interview. It was good getting together and talking with you at the Blade Show for the 2nd year in a row. Your are a real credit to this forum. Give my best to Liz. Keep up the good work.

JJ Roberts
    Manassas, VA

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What an interview Ron...just great! I don't remember the origins of the photo you mentioned but am sure the origin of the "rose between two thorns" had to be Wilma. I would never call myself a thorn as I am not that sharp. S

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the interview Ron,
    I count you among my favorite engravers of all time. You are not only an excellent designer and engraver, you are a positively fine person. Gil Rudolph told me years ago to give you a call and buy a few of your castings, which I did, and the way you took the time out to talk with me left it's mark. I recommend your books to all who inquire as possibly the best resource for learning scroll design. I believe one of the marks of a truly great craftsman is the willingness to share your knowledge with others and you have done that selflessly. Thanks again Ron.