How I hold rings for inside engraving

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Mario, that is a really neat machine. Never saw one like it. Maybe you could post a ring that has been engraved with it?
I don't think my tool marked Germany was part of a machine like yours. Your machine and Sam's holder looker much better made.
Mine is useable, but can jam up, and is just not as well designed and strongly made as my other one. Paid $14.99 with shipping for it, so you get what you pay for, so I can't complain.

Sam's tool definitely looks like it was part of a machine like yours.

opaed

@Sam & Mario
Yes, is original from Cardan, that was the first idea !!!

Is from this tool

The story is not end here.
Next step (or idea) is the modification to use own regular templates. Cardan has only one set hollow templates (see picture from Mario. With this modification you can make and use your own templates.

Cardan modification (at the monent only theoretically)

New Part

Cross section from the pin
Pin is movable up and down

Make your own templates
Used graver with small wedge angle and large rake angle.

Move Pin into the ground and engrave the ring

Best regards eda

Attachments

• cardan.jpg
    cardan.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 144
  • cardan2.jpg
    cardan2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 144
  • legPart2x.jpg
    legPart2x.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PB181149.JPG
    PB181149.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Schablone2.jpg
    Schablone2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 146
  • scablone.jpg
    scablone.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 146
  • legPart1x.jpg
    legPart1x.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
012 - Copy.jpg
I went to a local engraver today and showed him this holder to see if he had one that he was not using, and be willing to sell, so I could sell it to a forum member that wants to buy mine.
The engraver is old school, hand pushes, hand sharpens, and has no use for fancy gadgets. Plus he is well into his 70's. (And a very good engraver).

He said he had never seem one before, and was fascinated by it. Then he really shocked me by saying he wanted to buy it from me. I almost fell over. I thought he would tell me how he does it without any holders, and the tool was a waste of time. Here I was trying to buy one from him, and he was trying to buy mine.

I explained again how I did not want to sell it, but wanted to buy another for a friend. So then he asked that if I found another, he would buy it. I will show him my other one that is not as nice, and if he wants it I will sell him that one.