Is this a good deal? Ebay sale....

Gatekeeper

Hello folks --
I have been pestering about getting started and having no clue where to begin - I know zero about the different systems - I had a lot of awesome help by some of you nice folks, and I need to make a decision soon but I can't afford to spend my savings on something unsuitable - below is the link to the machine offered on Ebay - my question is - is this a good deal? There seems to be no gravers or attachments included...one more request - would it be possible to meet with someone in New England to see how their system works? I would be happy to travel to the surrounding states (I live in New Hampshire) to check out different systems at work....here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GraverMeist...187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d2f8927b

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd buy a new one from GRS. It's almost the same price. The support from GRS is worth the minor difference.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Take a class at GRS and they will give you a good discount. It's not worth getting a used one at this price.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i didn't look at price on ebay. but, i have a gravermeister that's older than dirt-- & it still runs as good as new. it may not be as "slick" as the newer toys, but like any tool, you can make it do some great work. i fully believe that it's in your hand and not the particular tool you use. just take a look at what some of our european friends are doing with nothing more than a hammer & chisel !

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A used Gravermeister should be more like $500.

I'm with Monk, all of these tools are well made and can do the job. I have seen fabulous work done with a Gravermeister (used one myself for 30 years), Lindsay Airgraver, Gravermax, Gravermach, Enset, H&C, and burin. It is the passion and determination to engrave and hundreds of hours of practice that will make you a successful engraver. The chosen system is probably the least important aspect of the whole craft. And lets not forget the fact that the art and drawing part is often the most challenging aspect for many. Look at all the drawings that Shawn Didyoung posts on this forum. It shows the determination needed to do constantly improving work.

It seems to me like, in America, beginners are fixated on the tooling and the mechanical aspects of engraving , whereas in Europe they are focused on the art aspect. The difference shows in the early work of each.

If you don't think you can hack it with H&C (the cheapest method) get any system you can afford and run with it. They all can do the job. In the end, it is not the what holds the graver, it is the skilled hand that does the work.

RB

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nicely stated, Roger.

Personally, I would rather see you put that money toward a newer generation system as opposed to the Gravermeister.

Sponsors