LISA TOMLIN article in " Garden & Gun" magazine

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
DSCF0013.jpg DSCF0011.jpg DSCF0012.jpg DSCF0013.jpg DSCF0011.jpg DSCF0012.jpg I received my August/September 2012 copy of the magazine"Garden & Gun" yesterday and found that it contained an article titled: "TOP GUN How Lisa Tomlin turned a childhood obsession with drawing animals into a career as one of the country's finest gun engravers".

I suspect that unless your a Southerner you are not familiar with the superb magazine "Garden & Gun", but a quick Google will give you some idea of its focus and writers.

This article gives a sketch of how Lisa met Ken Hurst and worked for him learning the trade and applying here great artistic skills to develop her style. A view of Lisa's website will illustrate he skills that she has. To my mind here skill and talent is equal to the best of the Italian engravers, and without a doubt here ability to illustrate animals on steel places her among the best of the best.

Best Regards;
Steve Howell, also a Southerner, but only a craftsman engraver, not an artist engraver.

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,

You beat me to it, just received my latest issue & was going to comment!
That's a great article about Lisa!!

Weldon

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Lisa is one very talented person and a total delight to know. I will try to get a copy of the magazine you mentioned.

Andrew Biggs

Lisa certainly does beautiful work and is a lovely lady and deserves every bit of recognition she can get..

What get's to me is a magazine called "Garden and Gun". :)

Cheers
Andrew

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew: Garden & Gun...It's a "southern thang"!
I'll try to explain it to you sometime in person!!

Weldon

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, we should bring him an autographed copy to Reno with a big bow on it. You're gonna be there right? I'll buy a table if you will...

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Photos

I added some photos to my original post above of the subject magazine and two of the pages of the article about Lisa. The magazine cover is nice and I threw it in for free.

Weldon;

Is the drought over and is there now water in Big Joshua Creek. This time last year when I was there it was dry. I have spend many wonderful days shooting quail at Joshua Creek Ranch.

Regards;
Steve Howell

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, weldon-- i know what you mean-- i subscribe to the boston pops monthly review. there's an article in this issue-- "how to tune your bandsaw in 4 easy steps" ! yhat's a nawthun thing.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The drought is over (well, sort of) and there is water in the big Joshua again. I actually live about two miles from Joshua Creek Ranch....nice folks & a great place to hunt!

Monk...made me laugh!!

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was simply appalled when I saw the juxtapostion of guns and gardening. It just shows the depths of crassness our culture has sunken to. (It's a southern (California) thing)! :justkidding: :eek::eek: :justkidding:

PS JUST KIDDING!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey weldon, i could only think how bad it was out your way. we had a partial drought here. fortunately not much crop damage in my area.
ptl, we have had several rains in the past week. the corn is catching up.

I love the Garden and Gun idea. I don't know why it is a southern thing, I think it is a wonderful expression of a way of life. I would like nothing more than to spend time in my garden and engraving.
We are still in a drought here. I have never seen anything like it in my life (and I am old). We have corn fields on fire and the many fields are completely brown. Mature trees are dying from the drought. Strange that Texas is not in a drought yet we are here in Illinois. The world has turned upside down.

Latest posts

Sponsors