getting new pro set up for engraving and setting

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
It seems then that yourself and your friend know more about the compressors than the manufacturer. Some people also smoke heavily everyday and still live to be over 100 years old. That doesn't mean that it's OK to smoke. The fact that you cannot see the contamination in the line doesn't mean it's not there. This is a known fact in pneumatics. I guess than there isn't more to discuss about compressors since all of the questions have been answered.

Chris

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Victoria,

I am from Sydney, Australia, and recently (bout a year ago) bought a bunch of equipment for engraving/setting in the future. I didnt buy a scope so I am no help to you there.

I did look into compressors a little bit, I currently run mine at a house. There were a few places that could build custom compressors for you, $2000 would be enough to get a decent one im sure. One place offerered to put a dental compressor onto a big tank, thus solving the quiet and the capacity issues. I ended up going with something cheaper and louder personally, as I am ok with that for the moment. Sydney tools had some oil-less compressors that could be considered quiet for comfortably less than $2000. I went in and got them to run one to have a listen, so you could try that and see?

I also work at HOJ Sydney part time, I know they have GRS stuff like the power hone to set up so you can have a go. Just ring up and tell them you want to have a go of the power hone etc. I think they have a microscope set up too if you want a look! Also the trade show is coming up in September where all the equipment will be setup too.
Pilot Air compressors and National Air compressors were the two companies in particular that could help build one if you wanted. Hope this helps a little!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So today just for fun I hooked up my EnSet and Lindsay to Co2. THEY BOTH WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No compressor needed here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO NOISE EITHER<LOLOLOLOOLO>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

I spent only $7 on a few pipe fittings and have a Scuba tank powering a Lindsay, and agree, it is a nice quiet system. So I can go off in my mini van with a working system, now all I need is time off to make a meandering trip into the mountains. Some one reminded me that it might be a problem filling a Scuba tank in mountain country! I also have GRS, and Ngraver for that matter. Can't stop the temptation to buy tools, I enjoy their various differences. Now if only my push graving ever got remotely as good as yours, I might sell the lot.

P.s. The EnSet sure looks very different in principle and operation, and it will be fun to try one, perhaps at Reno. I have been watching Chris' videos demonstrating the EnSet. Oh oh, I am feeling the urge to buy more tools.

Rod

Last edited:

ramilpacheco

hi victoria you are right they are very much welcoming. im just a new member of this site, but i learned a lot.
im also planning to buy grs graver max g8 and trying to find out what is suitable to my needs. im stone setter here in the phiippines. i also need microscope i dont know what king i should buy. thanks

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ramilpacheco, after some shopping recently I am seriously looking at the new Leica scopes at engraver.com website. I can't afford a fancy German brand and at a comparable price for new Meiji Scope I like the Idea of not having to focus so much.A test drive is in order!!!!!!!!

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Mathew, I recently did a workshop over there and met a woman that was connected to AJS. She told me that they carry some engraving tools too.

You did a workshop?! Wish I had known, very hard to find face to face help over here! Let me know if you come back again! And yes, AJS has a little bit too. I dont know if they have as much, but anything is better than nothing over here!

vbj

The Leica a 60 scope looks great- good price too, considering it includes arm and light. Anyone have experience with it, and whilst the swinging arm looks convenient, I'm thinking the rigid pole stand might have less movement ?

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Just returned from the ogca where a group of engravers met. It was a great time. Joe Rundell put it together. Thanks Joe.

I tried the new Leica scope there. My first word as I look through it was Wow as was every person there who tried it. I have a Zeiss Stemi 2000 and I will gladly sell it to buy one of these
. The stand is incredible the scope is unbelievable. I didn't have to refocus even one time while working. The depth of field was incredible. The light is awesome and the price is less than a Meiji with an acrobat stand light and objective lens. With this system they are all part of the package.

I am sure you will be hearing more from all the engravers who tried it there. Not one of them didn't say the word Wow! after looking through it. Some who don't use a scope said they would if they get one of these.

Chris