+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rod, that pendant is absolutely beautiful. You are really onto something great here, and thank you for generously sharing your techniques, which I have added to the Tips Archive. I would think these beauties would be well received in high-end jewelry stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.
    Willy

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Sam,

As well as trying to improve, maybe next experiment is to try a mix of different hues of gold. The approach would be to decide what you want to cut and gild with, say 24k. Do that, then wipe the gilded elements with a thin coat of super glue, sand down to bare surface level, the glue will be left in the engraved cuts, and will mask these from further plating in the next stages, when you would cut the next elements to be gilded with, say, rose gold, etc.

Finally, soak the piece in acetone for an hour, to dissolve the making glue, and continue till silver is revealed back on the negative space?

Since you gave me a generous push into the deep end of the swimming pool some years ago, I have come to enjoy the opportunity of rubbing shoulders with so many inspiring master artists, if not in person, then virtually on the forum, and as you know there is plenty of good hearted encouragement, so unlike my early days, learning and improving is a lot of fun. As Sir Isaac Newton once wrote, "... if modest improvements have been made, it is because we have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants..."

Rod
    Last edited by rod; 07-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info

arnaud

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice, Rod. The application of the "flare cut" to something other than scrollwork is an idea I've not thought of.
    I'll make an attempt at a flare cut pattern to those flute lip plates in the near future. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you good buddy, Brian!

But really we should thank the long line of engravers that inspire me, and you are one of them.

Rod

7. Likes BrianPowley liked this post